cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolley Trailer or Four Down?

bleavitt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Winnebago Sightseer. I recently towed a 2014 Grand Caravan (G.W. 9,000 lbs.) on a dolley trailer. It really struggled; especially the transmission. I drove it for about an hour and then took it off.

Does anyone think that installing a hitch and going four down will make a difference?

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Four down won't make much of a difference. The dolly probably weighs about 500-600 lbs. Once you add a base plate and tow bar it adds a couple hundred maybe. Get a lighter toad. The smallest weigh about 2300 lbs, the next step up is about 2800 lbs. I went with a Kia Soul(2800), a bit more weight but much more room.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, you're vary vague post of "struggled" doesn't help much.
Don't expect a big gas class A to be a towing monster. That drove train is already about 90% used up just hauling the RV.
No, 4 down won't make much difference IMO.
Again, depends on your definition of struggling and your basis for comparison.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, subcamper, but 9000 pounds was OPโ€™s number.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to post this on the Motorhome forum.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Honda Fit, weighing in at around 2500 lbs. Four-down towable if equipped with manual transmission.

When you go looking, always go by what is written in the owner's manual, not by what you hear.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's no way a Grand Caravan (even with a dolly) has a GW of 9000lbs.

Empty Grand Caravans weigh about 4400lbs. With a 2-wheel dolly and a few things in the van maybe 5000lbs.

A lighter vehicle might weigh 3000lbs instead of 4400lbs for the Grand Caravan, so you wouldn't save much there. Dropping the dolly would only save a few hundred pounds.

Steve

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Way too much load. You need a smaller, lighter towed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ve been lucky. Stop now.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
I don't thing doing away with the weight of the dolly is going to help you that much. You are trying to tow more than the coach is rated for.

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the Sightseer is 22,000 lbs. The Gross Combined Weight Rating is 26,000 lbs. A fully loaded coach plus the Grand Caravan puts you 5000 lbs over the GCWR. That is your problem.

Another issue is the trailer hitch for the Sightseer is rated at 5000 lbs.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)