Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS on trailer tires

Bendmac
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings...

2016 24' FBS; came with Goodyear Endurance tires. I've been running max pressure (65#, marked prominently on the sidewall) when towing.

I recently installed an inexpensive TPMS that plugs in to the power point in the TV. This uses sending units that screw on to the trailer tire valve stems...pretty small and lightweight so no too worried about messing up the valve stems. The receiver shows current tire pressure (in bar or PSI...I use PSI) and tire temperature. (TV is a 2014 Ford F150 EB with built-in TPMS for the truck itself but nothing being towed).

That said, what say ye to min/max pressure thresholds for the trailer tires? Right now I have it set on 75# for the high threshold and 50# on the low.

As far as tire temps...I hunted around but couldn't find anything to suggest a "normal" operating temperature for the Endurances. The unit only reads out in "C" and has a minimum setting of 70C (158F) and a maximum of 90C (194F). Any suggestions on what to set that upper temperature limit alarm at?

Cheers,

Bendmac
11 REPLIES 11

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I would not put the senders on rubber valve stems.

Agreed, they will eventually break regardless of the weight of the sensor. I know this from experience. I installed mine on rubber, high pressure stems and they still broke eventually. Only reason I didn't use metal stems from the beginning is that it took me 4 years to find one that fit my wheels.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also take temp readings of brakes, hubs, and tires during my first stop every day. I check every tire/wheel on the TT and the truck.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
TST recommends 10 percent below and 20 above.You can set it yourself

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TST monitoring system on our TT. I haven't had any negative issues as some have stated. TST makes a Flow Thru sensor and a non-flow thru. The flow through allows you to service the tire through it while the non doesn't. The Flow Thru is heavier and should be used only on metal valve stems and the non Flow Thru are for rubber stems.

Our last trip from DE-RI-ME-NH-CT-DE pegged out at 1400 miles and no sign of the rubber valve stem flopping around, hitting the wheel. Instructions say to set low press alarm to 10% below and high pressure to 20 - 25 % above. Default high temp setting is 158 and TST suggest to leave it there. You can always change setting to the specs of the brand tires you have, but for the most part these setting are reliable.

Dougie123
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same system, and 2x on checking the rubber stems.

HOWEVER, whenever we make a stop, I quickly grab this from my glovebox and check the tire sidewall AND caliper temps of the TV (drums of the TT) to find any signs of a hanging brake caliper/shoe, bearing failure, or tire issue.

IR Temp Gun
Dad, Mom, 4 kids, 1 dog & lots of camping memories!

2010 Shamrock 233S (SOLD)
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 295DBOK
2011 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Hemi 4.10 (SOLD)
2017 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Cummins

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
TST recommends 10 percent below and 20 above. I recommend metal valve stems as well since I had a rubber one leak.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bendmac wrote:

As far as tire temps...I hunted around but couldn't find anything to suggest a "normal" operating temperature for the Endurances. The unit only reads out in "C" and has a minimum setting of 70C (158F) and a maximum of 90C (194F). Any suggestions on what to set that upper temperature limit alarm at?

TST recommends 158. Keep in mind that the sensor reads the temperature at its location, brake and tire temperatures may be much higher.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I do not recommend using rubber valve stems.

After you have towed a 1000 miles or so look carefully at the the wheel around the valve stem. I suspect you will see what I saw and that is marking where the TPMS sender was hitting the wheel from the rubber valve stem flexing which will most likely fail at a very inappropriate time when you are on the road.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not put the senders on rubber valve stems.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I have my low threshold set to 68 PSI. The senders tend to read 4-5 PSI low for some reason so 68 translates to 72 PSI in reality.
I had problems with rubber valvestems failing due to the weight of the senders stressing them while the wheel is spinning. I would advise using metal valvestems to avoid problems.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my TPMS set at 10% below and 20% above the pressure I plan to use. I leave the temp set at what it came from the dealer with.

My tires are run at 80psi so I have my alerts set at 72psi and 96psi.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB