Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning tent room for travel trailer without awning

Marlies82
Explorer
Explorer

Dear all,

I'm new here to this forum and I hope you can be of some help :).
We bought a 1971 Kit Compagnion travel trailer and we're planning to take it during our roadtrip through the US.
We have 3 small kids and to be able to spend some time outside the trailer, even when it's raining, we are looking for a add on screen room tent thing.
We are originally from the Netherlands and these things are quite common there. I'm looking online to buy something here in the US and I can only find screen rooms that you attach to an already existing awning. Well and there comes the thing, we don't have an awning.
I have attached a picture of what I'm looking for: a decent solid tent that you can attach to an rv/travel trailer, which provides an extra room for living.
Anybody an idea of where I can find something similar?
Thank you so much!
12 REPLIES 12

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
We have a large screen room called a Clam. They come in different sizes and only take seconds to set up a take down.

Tvov wrote:
Those look really good. I'll have to keep my eyes open next camping trip to see if I can check one out in person.

Not much to check out that you can't learn on YouTube but big box stores like Bass Pro sell screen shelters like the Clam, though stock on any particular model would vary from one store to another. For the OP the Clam even offers a double size version called the Excursion which is rated to accommodate up to 16 people! :E With a variety of wind panels also available there's really no reason at all these days to get wet no matter what you're camping in, from tent to monster 5th. About the only thing I've noticed missing from these 5 or 6 sided instant up screen rooms are footprints cut to the same profile as the screen room ... I bought a purpose designed 10' x 10' footprint for the screen room I bought and it matches the room profile perfectly. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
We have a large screen room called a Clam. They come in different sizes and only take seconds to set up a take down. Ours wii accomadate a picnic table with room to spare for camping chairs etc. Do a google search for Clam to see what they have to offer. Ours even has storm flaps so if it rains and gets windy you can stay in it until the storm passes.

Those look really good. I'll have to keep my eyes open next camping trip to see if I can check one out in person.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a great add on but we get by with an 8x8 bug tent over the picnic table. If I were to buy another, I would opt for one similar to Roy's image.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
We have a large screen room called a Clam. They come in different sizes and only take seconds to set up a take down. Ours wii accomadate a picnic table with room to spare for camping chairs etc. Do a google search for Clam to see what they have to offer. Ours even has storm flaps so if it rains and gets windy you can stay in it until the storm passes.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I screw these 18-inch ground anchors into the ground around my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer just about everywhere we go. Tie off at each of the four corners of the raised roof using 15-foot 1/2-inch ratchet straps...

These 3-inch blade ground anchors leaves minimal marks to the ground area.

Google image

Google image

Roy's image

We also like to set-up a open tent sometimes over the picnic table... Nice sitting under this in the late afternoon when the mosquitoes start coming around...

Roy's image

Never had any problems at the camp grounds we have gone to for driving stakes into the ground. Must be at one of those those high end places with lots of rules posted... Have never gone to one of those before...

We like to only go where our neighbors look like this...

Google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
punomatic wrote:
Two thoughts come to mind. 1) If this kind of item is common in Europe, can you or someone you know in the Netherlands purchase one there and import it to the US? 2) Could you purchase a tent and modify it to attach to the door of your TT?

There has to be a solution to this dilemma.

Times have changed, technology is giving us much easier to use products at reasonable prices. JMO but I can't imagine why anyone would bother with the expense & effort of doing either when quality instant up shelters are now so readily available. I myself recently purchased an instant up Core 6-person cabin tent and just the other day added an instant up 10' x 10' screened shelter that I bought at (of all places!) Home Depot. It's all too easy, these instant up tents & shelters literally go up in a minute or two. :B

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Marlies82 wrote:
We are originally from the Netherlands and these things are quite common there.
I have attached a picture of what I'm looking for: a decent solid tent that you can attach to an rv/travel trailer, which provides an extra room for living.
Two thoughts come to mind. 1) If this kind of item is common in Europe, can you or someone you know in the Netherlands purchase one there and import it to the US? 2) Could you purchase a tent and modify it to attach to the door of your TT?

There has to be a solution to this dilemma. You will never regret spending some money to provide your family the experience of traveling around North America to see its beauty and its vastness.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
Some campgrounds do not allow tent stakes to be driven into the ground as they may put underground utilities like electric, sewer, & water at risk.

Never have run into this either - tent stakes at most penetrate 6", maybe 8" into the ground but any services should be well below that, as in feet. Lots of people use screen rooms along with their travel trailers, I wouldn't give this claim any consideration at all.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
Some campgrounds do not allow tent stakes to be driven into the ground as they may put underground utilities like electric, sewer, & water at risk.
Huh? Any place you can't set up a tent doesn't deserve to call itself a "campground."

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
You may require some extra planning when booking a campsite reservation. Some campgrounds do not allow tent stakes to be driven into the ground as they may put underground utilities like electric, sewer, & water at risk.

Interesting! I have never heard tents stakes not allowed. It has never occurred to me to ask.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
You may require some extra planning when booking a campsite reservation. Some campgrounds do not allow tent stakes to be driven into the ground as they may put underground utilities like electric, sewer, & water at risk.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Marlies82 wrote:
I'm looking online to buy something here in the US and I can only find screen rooms that you attach to an already existing awning. Well and there comes the thing, we don't have an awning.

While common in places like Europe and Australia it's doubtful you'd find what you're looking for here in N America where screen rooms / add-a-rooms do use the trailer awning as it's roof. Your best bet is a standalone screen room, especially one of the newer instant popup type such as those by Clam and Gazelle ... not inexpensive but quick to put up and certainly will protect your family from the elements. :B