cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Rockies - Really need some advice please

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Jaspar 8/28 to begin our year long RV adventure. Coming from Seattle and planned on BC-5 out of Hope. The Coquihalla summit is making me anxious to say the least. How much time does the 1 add, are the grades much less, or am I over thinking this
2001 F350
7.3 powerstroke
38" keystone Montana 5er
7 REPLIES 7

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Just take your time as you would going up the long grades keeping your rpms at a level that keeps the motor cool. You will always see someone on the side of the road overheated as they try to keep up top speed.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Keep tabs on the forest fire situation in both Alberta and BC. Fires are spreading and air quality is becoming an issue.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
"You got reservations in the Banff area?"

Reservations in all 3 spots. Village 2 in Banff. Not knowing the area except via Canada parks website, appears that our camping options are limited with our size rig. This all came together in the last couple of months, so just glad we could get reservations!

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"We're "dry camping" in Whistlers. 1st time there; 5 days in Jaspar, 2 at Lake Loiuse and 3 more in Banff."

You got reservations in the Banff area? We live in MT and will be going up to Kananaskis Country (Peter Lougheed/Boulton Creek Campground) here over labor day. I called at 8:30 in the morning of the 90 day reservation window and got the LAST water/power site.

We go up there once or twice a year as it is only an 8 hour drive from home. There are too many people in Banff although I hear Jasper is not as bad. Kananaskis country is still somewhat undiscovered. I would characterize it as Glacier without the people. My significant other doesn't even like me telling others about it. I think the Albertan's feel the same. They voted to NOT allow it to be developed anymore than it is awhile back.

And the Provincial parks put US national parks to shame to be honest.

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:
The coke is a fast flowing four or more lane highway with lots of long hills. No more issues then your average interstate in the summer.

Where are you staying in jasper? I love it there!

We're "dry camping" in Whistlers. 1st time there; 5 days in Jaspar, 2 at Lake Loiuse and 3 more in Banff.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
The coke is a fast flowing four or more lane highway with lots of long hills. No more issues then your average interstate in the summer.

Where are you staying in jasper? I love it there!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely over thinking.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.