cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hopper3 with Pathway2

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to use a Hopper3 on a Pathway2 or other portable dish? Has anyone tried it?
I assume they only pickup 1 sat at a time but since most of Dish channels are on 72.7 sat it would not matter much.
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I am not sure there would be any real reason to experiment with an option without the possibility for getting a reasonable end result.
That would seem like a good end result to me. All the programming is on 72.7 and then you could use all the other features of the the Hopper3 and Joeys in the MH. Just get the locals OTA.
It would be an extra step but seems well worth the time if you were staying somewhere for a while.
If you have a Trav'ler and need the EA you are also only on 1 sat.

Thanx

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The domes have a simple single LNB with no switch capabilities like the DPP and similar LNB's contain. It would still never work with a Pathway 2 as the receiver does not have the software required to allow the Pathway to locate a satellite. If you used a 211 to point the antenna and then switched over to the Hopper you would still be stuck with that one satellite as the Hopper could not cause the antenna to move. I am not sure there would be any real reason to experiment with an option without the possibility for getting a reasonable end result.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
What is different about the LNB? If it works on a 211 and the 211 works with a Hybrid Pro or Hybrid. How about with the DPH42 switch? Has anyone actually tried connecting it to see if it works?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used DIRECTV and a tripod with a Slimline 3 LNB for years. I was very proficient at it.

I switched to DISH, tried to go the tripod route with my Hopper but the meter in the Hopper is very slow to lock. The first few times took forever until I figured out you have to scan very slowly. Not to mention dragging out the Hopper, the Joey WiFi box, the Joey and setting it all up was painful. You need a compatible Birddog meter if you go the tripod route IMHO.

Thatโ€™s when I decided to go the Pathway route with a 211leaving the 211 connected in the RV.

Itโ€™s so simple and easy.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
OK Thanx.
I was just hoping someone found a workaround.

I know Winegard said the Hopper3 could not be used on the Trav'ler then 2 methods came around from people who seem to know more than Winegard. Same happened with DTV SWM many years ago. It was also said that a 211 won't work with Hybrid Pro LNBs, but they do.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
az99 wrote:
Is there any way to use a Hopper3 on a Pathway2 or other portable dish? Has anyone tried it?
I assume they only pickup 1 sat at a time but since most of Dish channels are on 72.7 sat it would not matter much.

Even if the Pathway 2 could lock onto a satellite, the LNB inside is not compatible with the Hopper so there is no way to make the Hopper work with any kind of a dome antenna. It will require a standard home style antenna/LNB setup. That means you need a tripod mounted portable antenna or a roof mounted automatic like the Winegard Trav'ler or RF Mogul Eagle.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I did not know they moved.
According to this one they are on 72.7. https://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=sub

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Hopper series receivers do not have the software the Pathway needs to operate. Only the Wally and VIP series receivers will work with the PathwayX2. Dish has moved most of the more popular channels on the eastern arc from 72.7 to 61.5.

DISH Network Channel List 1-999
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate