cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting video on tv

Chad_Jen
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a new (to us, AKA used) travel trailer. It’s a Forest River Heritage Glen and has a Magnadyne RV5070 stereo/video player in it. I can get the stereo to work but when I try to play a DVD I can hear the DVD in the speakers but can’t get a picture on the TV. The wires are red, white and yellow audio cables. I tried plugging in the cables from the wall to the TV and get no picture, but when I use our portable DVD player and plug it in to the TV in the same spots a picture comes up. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the back of the head unit? You may also need to check the back side of the plugs in the wall. It is possible the Yellow wire has come loose at the back of the unit or the back side of the wall connection.

Our Greyhawk had a Magnadyne head unit, I don't remember the model. It had a built-in DVD player with a 7" screen. Our unit had a standard 3 plug RCA - Yellow, Red & White. Picture and sound quality of the Magnadyne was poor. If it isn't a lot of trouble, I would recommend a separate DVD/Blu-ray player and just use the Magnadyne for radio.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Component makes use of five RCA plugs on the television.

There are 2 different component cables with RCA connectors. One has 5 plugs, red, blue, green for video and a second red and the white for sound.

The other only has three plugs, red, blue and green for video only. You still need a second cable with red and white like the traditional home stereo RCA audio cable to get sound.

He can use the cable he has now as he is hooked it up and unplug the yellow cable. Then run out and buy a 3 plug red, blue and green RCA cable.

So whether he needs a 5 plug cable or a 3 plug cable plus a second cable to plug in for sound is a moot point.

Right now he has sound only with no video using the yellow, red and white RCA cable.

The simple fix for him right now is to go into the television settings menu and change the video selection for the input from component to the three plug RCA yellow, red and white connection or if he already has a red, green and blue cable is to disconnect the yellow plugs and connect that cable. If and only if the device he is hooking up to has component outputs.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Component video uses a red-green-blue cable and carries no audio. A separate red-white cable(RCA) or Digital Optical(fiber optic) is needed for sound.
Composite video is usually yellow with red-white(RCA) for sound.
Composite video is the lowest resolution, next is S-video, then component, then
HDMI. HDMI carries high res video, sound and other control signals.
Verify if your RV DVD player has composite, component, or HDMI outputs and use the best one to the TV.
Set the TV to use the proper input in it's menu and make some popcorn.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of televisions share a common input for the RCA connections. One set of RCA's uses the yellow for video, and red and white cables for sound. The other set is called component and uses 5 RCA plugs, red, blue, green for video and a second red and white for sound. In the settings there should be an option to pick between the three plug yellow, red and white cable or the 5 plug red, blue, green, red and white component cable for the RCA input connections. Your TV input option for the RCA cable is probably set to component. That is why you are getting sound with the yellow, red and white cable and no picture.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Confirming yellow is the video cable; red (right) and white (left) are audio. Make sure both ends of the cables are connected that way.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Generally yellow is used with video for RCA style (analog) connectors. You will also need to select the proper TV input to accept video on the yellow wire, assuming everything else upstream is connected correctly.
I love me some land yachting

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t mean to be negative but the RV stereo/audio system are not good . Replace with separate dvd /dvr units ( home type ) better performance less hassle.

Chad_Jen
Explorer
Explorer
I made sure that the source was the AV/component, and even tried the AV plug in all three of the spot it comes out from the wall in case something was wired wrong. All to no avail.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds strange. I would check to be sure the red, yellow and white wire are plug into the audio and video output jacks not the input jacks by mistake.

Our television requires us to select the "source" if we have multiple inputs.

Obviously is yours works with one player, it should work with the other, provided it is putting out a signal to the TV.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.