cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an ok deal 2014 Jayco Redhawks 26xs

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
He wants 56k... wants.. I’m sure he will take less, it’s pretty much mint.. are these well made ?? And what’s a FAIR price ?? 14k miles
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
7 REPLIES 7

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:
well I talked to the guy, he said there was a leak around the rear window that delaminated the rear wall so it was all replaced by 7o's in NY for 4600.00...he said it looks awesome...
WTH is there leaks with all these things ?? Are class A's better ??

If it had a leak and even though it was repaired that would be a walking away point for me. There are tons of used coaches out there. You may have to travel to find them. Mine was in Minnesota and we live in So. Cal. Very pleased with my coach and glad I took the time to find the right one for us.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill,

IMO, Phoenix Cruiser , Pleasureway RV and Leisure Travel Vans are worth a look . A little better care might go into it ? But I would research the M/Benz chassis as far as having a network of dealerships or repair shops with necessary software to make repairs. A few models are built on the Ford Transit which offers VG fuel economy in both gas and diesel but payload needs to be watched. Some units of certain mfg's are only (SRW) single rear wheel axles.
Try viewing the 'FIT RV reviews videos ' for info and good in depth user reviews on the above brands.
Many youtubes of factory build process of these brands as well as viewing the owners forums of each brand.
Not that they are trouble free, they all can have issues and these companies do change ownership from time to time. But the track record might be a little better in those more expensive brands do to possible better quality methods and care ? Maybe ?

As far as other brands , Sorry to say, no, they kind of build them the same basic way. View the youtube of the Jayco 7 hour travel trailer build process.

Sometimes some of us get lucky and get a unit that works fine but then others have issue after issue.
RV's are often assembled by young assemblers not high tech mechanics demanding high wages. There is poor quality control, units get pushed out the door, especially during good economic times.
The reason it continues this way is us, the rv consumer. We all want and keep buying these inferior products, supporting this industry, myself included, I'm guilty .
It's the nature of the beast, Its the unregulated rv industry.

Re the 2014 unit you were looking at. If a repair was done correctly then it could give you many years of trouble free service. Many times, a good dealer can do a repair and make the rv better than new. When performing warranty work, the mfg will offer him 1/2 his hourly rate. That's how it this system operates. The dealer accepts it to stay in business.

While under warranty , many times it's best to return the rv to the mfg. because the dealer can't perform the expensive bonding, the expensive equipment like the factory has to offer. They will send a transporter to pick it up. Yes you have down time and loss of use.

Today, some rv walls are built as one unit, one wall sandwich construction that includes an exterior fiberglass gel coat wall, solid core insulation and a bonded interior wall. Some brands like Winnebago use this method as well as others. That might be a basic difference between brands that build this way. I do not know who does and who doesn't as far as new 2019 units.

RV's are like a box of chocolates :(.

As Forest Gump said " You never know what your gonna to get".

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
well I talked to the guy, he said there was a leak around the rear window that delaminated the rear wall so it was all replaced by 7o's in NY for 4600.00...he said it looks awesome...
WTH is there leaks with all these things ?? Are class A's better ??

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
it’s pretty much mint.. are these well made

Run the vin# thru the mfg to view it's repair history.
As you stated in your 8/3/18 post, you have mechanical skills, so that's a plus in your favor.
If you have inspected this Jayco, you should be able to tell if its well made enough for you to buy it. You know what you are looking at.
Brands are brands , if its it good condition after 5 yrs, then its a good brand.

Google the prices on various used rv value sites to see if its a fair price or not. Go to a dealer and have them look it up in their black book.

Good luck, hope it all works well. 🙂

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
lhenry8113 wrote:
If this is privately owned-is there a loan against it and what is the payoff, who's got the title? For 10-15,000 more you can probably get a Brand new one with no miles, warranty, etc. and a better loan rate.

It IS private owned..not sure if money is owed but will be sure to find out..im a cash buyer so loan rate is NA
Thx

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
If this is privately owned-is there a loan against it and what is the payoff, who's got the title? For 10-15,000 more you can probably get a Brand new one with no miles, warranty, etc. and a better loan rate.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to RVtrader.com and peruse the prices for it nationwide. He'd probably take 50K, but maybe you could get it cheaper. As far as quality, at that price their all pretty much the same. Actually climb up on the roof and inspect it carefully. Don't assume anything. I suppose it has an air conditioner, if it doesn't forget it. Test drive it on the open highway and see if it tracks OK without constant correction. The Redhawk's are good basic rigs. Good luck with your decision.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.