cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much weight can I flat tow

mema_poppop
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 27’ Itasca class A motorhome. Looking to purchase an Chevy Equinox to flat tow. Called Winnebago to see if we could tow the Eqinox. They said as long as you have a 5,000 lb hitch its Ok. I know there are formula’s out there to calculate, but I am not very mathematicaaly inclined. How do you find out if you can tow (a 27’ isnt a very big moterhome). I would appreciate any responses.
13 REPLIES 13

mema_poppop
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update. Bought th 2018 Equinox. Blue Ox tow. They put a triple charge that battery won’t die. No need to pull anything. Tows beautifully, no death wobble

mema_poppop
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
wallynm wrote:
Rk911 has the correct answer the rest will lead you astray.

^^^^^ That!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two or 3 limits on your towing..

First is the rating of the hitch. NOTE that this rating only applies if the tow is truly flat That means....

Receiver---Tow bars----Base plate on towed

If you use a drop or rise adapter so it is like this

Receiver|
. . . . |Drop receiver==Tow bars==Base plate as above

Then the hitch is subjected to torque load and seriously less capable (Tore mine right off the RV with a 4,000 towed)

Next we have the MAX CGVW of the RV. say 26,000 pounds (I'm using mine)
Less the scaled weight of the RV (22,000 pounds in my case)

26,000=22,000 Well that's the 4,000 pound towed I used to have

new towed is 2500 pounds.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
There's a fix for the wobble on the Equinox. I've only had it once and once you understand where it happens, you can avoid it. The best way to avoid it is to supply 12v charging to the toad so you don't have to pull any fuses.

Chevy has acknowledged the issue and has issued a change in the fuse to pull from fuse 32 next to the pax seat to fuse 16 under the hood. This thread outlines what needs to be done.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use EXTREME CAUTION when considering a Equinox and other vehicles for flat tow. I saw at least one post with Wobble for an Equinox.

Wobble/Death Wobble may occur in vehicles with Electronic Power Steering. This IS NOT hydraulic steering with an electric motor. It is also a factor with lifted vehicles or vehicles with worn suspension.

The Jeep Cherokee is the only one that I've seen acknowledgement of the issue and a fix. 2016 and newer Grand Cherokees have EPS and the problem and no fix to date. The 14-15 GC has hydraulic steering with an electric motor for the pump and is OK.

The dealers won't know about this issue and the mfg will not acknowledge it. It does not necessarily occur on every tow and may be some time for the right conditions to happen. If it occurs at low speed you must come to a complete stop. At high speed significant damage can and has occurred.

Do your research on any vehicle with EPS.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
The weight and total limits should be posted somewhere on the rig. If so, it will tell you what you need to know.

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch rating should be stamped into the receiver tube. Most often right on the top.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Rk911 has the correct answer the rest will lead you astray.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easy way is get the weight of the equinox and compare it to the GCWR minus the GVWR (This difference should already be printed somewhere). If the equinox is higher don’t get it. If it is lower then you’re fine. I bet you can get the equinox. You can get the mh weighed if you want to but I doubt in this case that you need to.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You have a tow hitch rated for 5,000 lbs. The Equinox weighs well under that. There's your math.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mema/poppop wrote:
Have a 27’ Itasca class A motorhome. Looking to purchase an Chevy Equinox to flat tow. Called Winnebago to see if we could tow the Eqinox. They said as long as you have a 5,000 lb hitch its Ok. I know there are formula’s out there to calculate, but I am not very mathematicaaly inclined. How do you find out if you can tow (a 27’ isnt a very big moterhome). I would appreciate any responses.

here ya go..

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH (defined as the sum of the actual weights on each axle) as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Your motor home has a GCWR gross combined weight rating. Get it weighed fully loaded for travel and get the weight of the Equinox. As long as your GCWR is not exceeded by the two weights you're good to go, as long as the hitch is rated for more than the weight of the Equinox.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew