cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sold the Honda 2000i and got a 2200i , now I can run the AC

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
So even with the Micro Air I could not start my 13.5K Duo Therm Brisk Air (18 years old) when the temps were above 90 in Phoenix (1400 ft). This was even Eco turned off. Sold the EU2000i last week and ordered a EU2200i.

Broke it in last night then tried the AC in the trailer at 95 degrees. Fired right up like nothing.....tried in Eco mode, fired right up!!

I have to say the 2200i seems to be a way more capable generator then the 2000i. During break in I threw some good loads at it including a 1250 watt hair dryer and a box heater 1500 Watts at the same time (2750 watts) and it cranked up like it had a turbo mode.
Did notice however in the trailer killawatt was reading 128 volts at no load.....seemed a bit high.
49 REPLIES 49

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
SkiingSixPack wrote:
Can you run 1, 2200, in parallel with a 2000?

DEPENDS! first you need to check the SN on the 2000 and look at the honda website. Honda says 2000's (regular or companion) outside a certain SN range should NOT be paralleled with a 2200. Damage to the 2000 could result and output voltage will be low.

If your in the "good" SN, then yes you can parallel and you will get 3400VA continous, 4200VA peak output. (1800+1600) or (2200 + 2000)

I have a 2000 companion purchased in 2011 and it is a SN that is compatible with the 2200.

Thank you!
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:

DEPENDS! first you need to check the SN on the 2000 and look at the honda website. Honda says 2000's (regular or companion) outside a certain SN range should NOT be paralleled with a 2200. Damage to the 2000 could result and output voltage will be low.

If your in the "good" SN, then yes you can parallel and you will get 3400VA continous, 4200VA peak output. (1800+1600) or (2200 + 2000)

I have a 2000 companion purchased in 2011 and it is a SN that is compatible with the 2200.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
wnjj wrote:
crcr wrote:
If one were buying a new eu2200i for RV use, would it be recommended to buy the Companion rather than the regular model, in order to have the 30a outlet?

No, because itโ€™s not the same outlet as an RV needs, and the generator cannot exceed the capacity of the 20A outlet.

I understand the outlet is different, but one could buy an adapter to plug a 30a RV plug into it. Question: Is that outlet 30a when the Companion genset is run by itself? Or only when it is paralleled with another eu2200i?

30A outlet is powered at all times. No you don't get 30A with only one generator, you get 2200VA peak, 1800VA continous when running by itself.

you get 3600VA continous, 4400VA peak when paralleled with another 2200, or 3400VA continous, 4200VA when paralled with another 2000.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
crcr wrote:
If one were buying a new eu2200i for RV use, would it be recommended to buy the Companion rather than the regular model, in order to have the 30a outlet?

No, because itโ€™s not the same outlet as an RV needs, and the generator cannot exceed the capacity of the 20A outlet.

I understand the outlet is different, but one could buy an adapter to plug a 30a RV plug into it. Question: Is that outlet 30a when the Companion genset is run by itself? Or only when it is paralleled with another eu2200i?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
crcr wrote:

crcr
Explorer
Explorer

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Brassica wrote:
3 tons wrote:
air conditioner is a Coleman mach 1 P.S. 11k btu,
The results seem a bit ambiguous, but it appears that the compressor amps are high - If I can believe Colemans specs of 9.0 total amps (incl. fan) at 95df (90df during my test), and the fan is supposedly using about 2.5a, then the actual compressor only amps should be about 6.5a, which (if correct) means that the compressor is using 2.5-3.0 extra amps than the specs call for.

I had drafted an idea for a big capacitor to start RV air conditioner loads. It could be installed in the portable generator, or in the air conditioner itself. It looks like this soft start technology does that.

My father was an HVAC instructor in his second career. He said that A/C compressors may have liquid freon in them after they set a while. It takes a huge amount of current to clear that liquid from the cylinder. It may overload the circuit breaker. They call it slugging. The circuit breaker is thermal, so it will reset in a few minutes after the armature has cooled down. Then it will slug again. It may take multiple cycles to purge the cylinder. Fun fun

What is this unit "df"? thanks

Thats good to know...Just to update, I installed a new Run capacitor and compressor amps then dropped to about 7.2a - still a bit high but waaay better than before...

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
I did find that while the AC is running on the 2200i, if I flip the breaker on to the converter, it will trip the Easy Start. If I start with the converter on first then no problem. Easy start must see a โ€œspikeโ€ when the converter is switched on and cycles once.

OR just leave the converter off and eliminate it from the equation entirely. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I wanted to see if the 2200 could handle both, it does easily.....just the Micro Air didnt like switching it on, Honda didnt care.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
I did find that while the AC is running on the 2200i, if I flip the breaker on to the converter, it will trip the Easy Start. If I start with the converter on first then no problem. Easy start must see a โ€œspikeโ€ when the converter is switched on and cycles once.

OR just leave the converter off and eliminate it from the equation entirely. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
The 2200 is amazing. Up at 7500 ft at 80 degrees I tested the 13.5K air conditioning on ECO mode and it ran like a champ. Also tested on the microwave that my 2000 would barely run, like 105 volts, it also worked on ECO mode with barely a small grunt. While runner no these loads it as only half rpm of full.

my brother had an (almost) similar experience at near 7500ft as you did. temps were in the low 90's so likely higher density altitude.

2200 easily started the AC in eco mode, ran it for about 15 minutes before the easy start detected overload, shut the ac off for 5 minutes, and then restarted and ran for several hours. had this experience for 3 days. seemed to have an initial overload detection somewhere around 5-15 minutes of run time, the a short shutdown, then ran the ac the rest of the day as needed.

now a 2000 is a whimp by comparison. 4000ft is about the limit with the easy start. The extra 200VA along with the significantly larger engine makes a big difference.

My experience at 5000ft with the 2200 is it will run the AC AND the fridge element (300W) so at 5000ft it has some margin.

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
Thx

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Brassica wrote:

Degrees Fahrenheit. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
air conditioner is a Coleman mach 1 P.S. 11k btu,
The results seem a bit ambiguous, but it appears that the compressor amps are high - If I can believe Colemans specs of 9.0 total amps (incl. fan) at 95df (90df during my test), and the fan is supposedly using about 2.5a, then the actual compressor only amps should be about 6.5a, which (if correct) means that the compressor is using 2.5-3.0 extra amps than the specs call for.

I had drafted an idea for a big capacitor to start RV air conditioner loads. It could be installed in the portable generator, or in the air conditioner itself. It looks like this soft start technology does that.

My father was an HVAC instructor in his second career. He said that A/C compressors may have liquid freon in them after they set a while. It takes a huge amount of current to clear that liquid from the cylinder. It may overload the circuit breaker. They call it slugging. The circuit breaker is thermal, so it will reset in a few minutes after the armature has cooled down. Then it will slug again. It may take multiple cycles to purge the cylinder. Fun fun