cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are the newer style Roo and Shamrock bunk doors better?

marobrown
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have a 2011 Shamrock 21SS, having delamination on the front bunk, and the awning fabric is due for replacement this fall. We love our trailer and the floor plan and have no problem replacing the bunk door, have a few ideas to try to help with the water leaking issues that it (and most others) have. We talked about upgrading to a power awning instead of just replacing the fabric. During this discussion I looked up the new 21SS floor plan and also considered trading ours for the same trailer and was wondering if the new door design and latch system is better and taken care of the water intrusion issue on the front bunk. Thanks in advance for any replies from Roo or Shamrock owners.
2017 F250 6.2/3.73 Supercab longbed Lariat
2011 Shamrock 21SS
3 REPLIES 3

marobrown
Explorer
Explorer
Mine got water into the door from door flex, the bunk door pulls away from the trailer towards the top above the latches allowing water in through there
2017 F250 6.2/3.73 Supercab longbed Lariat
2011 Shamrock 21SS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
First question, what was the cause of water intrusion that created the delamination? Lack of maintenance, bad seals, warped door, roof leak?
That should be determined before going further.

I will say that I see way less water issues, with the newer hybrids. The pre-attached canvas design seems to have less issues.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Leakage around the perimeter of the door has never been a problem for me. Water intrusion of the bed doors seems to be from the bottom seam where the door and door frame meet. Water collects here and is drawn into the door by capillary action. Keep this well caulked to prevent.

My front door became delaminated and was replaced by a RV shop a couple of years ago. Didn't fit right when they were done and barely fits right now despite a couple trips back. The large rubber seal along the bottom edge was never fit properly. Keeping an eye on it.

Forest River shipped the door to me along with new decals.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages