Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Solar Panel

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
Kind new to the solar panel, any idea?
I have a small TT, one person with 2 dogs, full-time RVer.
Located in MA, somehow raining a lot in summer and snow in winter.
I read some posts online shows different watt, how much do I really need? Absolutely run AC in summer. Any brand suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
VictoriaChan wrote:
Not moving too much actually.
Barely run AC overnight, just seeking alternate way sometimes shore power is not possible.
200 to 500 watts. Or more if it fits.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you would be very disappointed with solar. Too much rain and snow. As you have been told AC would not be practical.

Many solar unit today do not worry about going off grid, they simple offset their bill by selling power back to the grid. You do not even need a battery bank.

Of course the grid sells you power at the retail price and buys your power at the wholesale price. In sunny AZ that is not much of a problem, in MA it would be more difficult.

Solar works well for keeping your batteries up when boondocking but total off-grid living usually required more energy reduction then most people care to give up.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Solar panels are basically sold as a comodity these days. Watch for a good deal on a dollars/ watt basis. The larger the panel the better that ration will be. The largest panels, like are used on homes, measure 78" by 40" and produce around 350 watts. If you can fit one of those it will be your best deal. The next size down measures about 66" by 40" and produce around 300 watts. These are also generally a good deal. When you get smaller than that you're more into "RV" sized panels but the cost per watt goes up.
I would put on one 300 watt panel if you have the room. I wouldn't bother with anything less than 100 watts.
Forget about running the AC on solar. You would have to spend a fortune on panels and batteries. The weight and space requirements would be outrageous, particularly on a trailer that size. I install off grid solar systems for a living. Even off grid homes with thousands of watts of PV don't typically run air conditioning.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
VictoriaChan wrote:
Barely run AC overnight,
You're not getting it. Without a huge battery, which couldn't be charged on a daily basis with the number of solar panels which would fit on a small TT, you can't even run A/C during the day when the sun is out.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
AC and Solar not compatible or practical, not even for a little bit at night. Unless you are willing to spend many thousands on batteries and many thousands on solar.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

VictoriaChan
Explorer
Explorer
Not moving too much actually.
Barely run AC overnight, just seeking alternate way sometimes shore power is not possible.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Move to a sunnier, warmer in winter location?
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Give up any thought of running AC off solar. It's only possible with extreme effort and cost, and your small TT probably doesn't have enough room for panels to make even limited use reasonably possible.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do an energy survey to determine your normal amp hour use. Multiply by 1.5. Outfit your TT with at least twice that number of AH battery capacity. Normally youโ€™ll need one solar watt for each battery AH. You might need 1.25 or 1.5. Buy a charge controller with adequate capacity. I recommend a MPPT model. Donโ€™t cheapout on wire size. Within reason bigger is better. But solar isnโ€™t going to power your AC.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad