Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member looking for information about build quality

Higgorama
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance for input.
I’ve had a pop-up for over 10 years and am now looking to buy a travel trailer for my wife and I. We have had fun looking around at different dealers & models over the past few weeks and seem to both like 17’ - 20’ models with a rear dinette. We like the Hideout, Springdale and just today saw the Aspen Trail line that we really like. Based on budget I’m guessing we are looking at lower quality, entry-level models? I have tried searching for reviews and information about build quality, but I’m not finding much that doesn’t look like “sponsored” information.
1. Any recommendations for good, independent reviews?
2. What should I be looking for in terms of build quality (eg caulk around the windows)
3. Any other tips for a first-time buyer?

Thanks,
Mike
15 REPLIES 15

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Anniewhereugo wrote:
Hi, I have been on the hunt for few months. I purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Prowler Linx that was very well built and light weight, but was a little too small for our needs. This trailer held its value and I had no trouble selling it. I really wanted a Forest River Mini Light 2405s (20'9" tip to tip 19 foot box) it was super quality, framless windows, you could put the murphy bed up with the mattress all messy and it was quality. For a couple thousand less I ended up with the keystone Passport Ultra lite 199. It is much lower quality and you cannot put the murphy bed up without the mattress folded (so you have to unmake the bed each day and put the b edding somewhere?????) and I would not recommend this trailer because of that. You get what yo pay for.

We have a 2019 2507 with the Murphy bed. We love the usability of the trailer, it is an awesome layout for us. We love the murphy bed, so easy to open/close with bed fully made up. So much storage and very spacious inside. That being said, it is definitely not the quality of our 2013 mini lite 2109. Lots of little things that we have to tinker with and minor repairs, and our first version of it actually went back to Forest River because is was really defective. So yes, more $ gets you more bells and whistles, but the quality just isn't there. I really want to love this trailer, but I do worry about it's longevity.

Higgorama
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses! We found a used Coleman that checks all our boxes for a great price...I might be an RV owner soon!

Anniewhereugo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have been on the hunt for few months. I purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Prowler Linx that was very well built and light weight, but was a little too small for our needs. This trailer held its value and I had no trouble selling it. I really wanted a Forest River Mini Light 2405s (20'9" tip to tip 19 foot box) it was super quality, framless windows, you could put the murphy bed up with the mattress all messy and it was quality. For a couple thousand less I ended up with the keystone Passport Ultra lite 199. It is much lower quality and you cannot put the murphy bed up without the mattress folded (so you have to unmake the bed each day and put the b edding somewhere?????) and I would not recommend this trailer because of that. You get what yo pay for.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
So, did they scare you off, yet?
All the major builders have decent campers and all of them have some that aren’t so decent. This occurs in the same models. It is up to you to make as sure as possible that you buy a decent one.
I have had no problems with the build quality of our Skyline. I have replaced a lot of the cheap fixtures and such that are found on most campers, but those are cosmetic. If you are handy, it’s not that difficult.
Educate yourself as much as you can.
Figure out the floor plan that most appeals to you and then search those campers.
Buying used is a good idea if you know what to look for as far as problems.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
grandpopsicle wrote:
Not manufactured by one of the big boys who make many Trailers in the same facility with different names stuck on them.

They stick KZ, Venture and Sonic names on them.

It would take some looking into, but Thor and Forest River make all kinds of changes to a brand when they acquire it. They may claim otherwise but thats corporate marketing and general BS. If they can make a change which increases the bottom line........they make it no matter the effect it has on quality or anything else.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
grandpopsicle wrote:
Not manufactured by one of the big boys who make many Trailers in the same facility with different names stuck on them.

They stick KZ, Venture and Sonic names on them.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
grandpopsicle wrote:
Finally settled on KZ. Still a mom and pop manufacturer. Not manufactured by one of the big boys who make many Trailers in the same facility with different names stuck on them.

Not so much since 2014.

ELKHART –4-17-2014– Thor Industries, one of the largest makers of recreational vehicles in the United States, got larger Thursday.

Thor Industries said Thursday that it is purchasing recreational vehicle manufacturer K-Z, Inc. of Shipshewana, for about $53.4 million, subject to adjustment. The transaction is expected to close May 1, according to the company’s release.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
I too was in the same search as you. Following is just my opinion...nothing more.
Most seemed poorly built or terrible styling or both. Finally settled on KZ. Still a mom and pop manufacturer. Not manufactured by one of the big boys who make many Trailers in the same facility with different names stuck on them.

For us it was good. 2x3 construction fair & simple design and very practical. 6 years later and 10'000's miles and have not had to go back to the dealer yet....
no jinx...:R
Never make the mistake of thinking you know everything about something. 😛

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
TT are built to a price point, the higher the cost, the better quality for a given size and features.

By all internet and industry predictions the TT at industry will easily top 450,000 units this year, for the fourth year in a row.

If they are building garbage, they are building the type of garbage the vast majority of the buyer want and are happy with.

If you want and are willing to pay for it, some of the lower volume maker produce more upscale garbage. Nash, Lance and the Arctic series rate high. Of course for the garbage snob there is always Airstream.

All brand have their supporters and distractors and quite frankly more issues than then should have. But the fact remains that they sell what they make year after year.

You buy based on floor plan, it remains when all else if forgotten.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Way more people buying RVs. We camp hosted for 7 years and in that time I have noticed a substantial uptick in occupancy rates. It used to be we would have sites open during the week. Now I see them booked solid all summer. Last summer I had to turn away on average of 3 walk ins each night in my loop.
Like I said, spend your money on a 4-5 year old. You will be far happier.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dons right, everything is just slammed together. There are some brands that are thought to be better but after buying one of those, I have my doubts.

Higgorama
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks donn0128 - do you know what’s behind the current push? Just normal capitalism supply and demand?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of new, start looking for something about 3-4 years old. That will put you before the latest push. Also you will find a PO has already had to deal with the issues and had them fixed. OutdoorRV and Northwood mfg have in the past made some real good RVs. Recently I have read some horror stories about them too. So right now with this massive push to pump out as many as possible I would really avoid any new RVs.

Higgorama
Explorer
Explorer
Hah, that’s what I was afraid of. So I should just go into this expecting there will be issues.... any “big” things to look for that I should have the dealer fix before taking the keys? I’m just afraid at this point that I don’t know what I don’t know.