cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doghouse and floor heat Class C

BJean
Explorer
Explorer
I have read about excess heat in Class C. Can not find the articles. I have purchased insulation for this problem but would like to know which is best place to put insulation. Under the floor or under the carpet?
7 REPLIES 7

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Thermo tec makes a heat shield that attaches to the exhaust pipe itself also. Its not a wrap, it has clamps that keep it off the pipe and creates a air gap and the material is also a heat barrier. That might be my next thing to do.
Proud father of a US Marine

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don,

Your E450 probably does - just use the MIX airflow knob setting, turn the temperature knob into the blue area to turn on the A/C compressor mode instead of the red area for the heating mode, then turn the fan speed to 3 or 4.

The MIX setting routes all the airflow to be from only the defrost vents and the floor vents ... while at the same time shutting off completely the air flow out of the chest level outlets.

What you then get in the cab is cold air coming out the defrost openings and gently flowing/bathing down over the driver and passenger to keep the whole cab cool without cold air blasting them in the face and upper body - just a feeling of cool comfort that seems to be coming from "everywhere".

What you also get is nice cool feet and lower body due to air conditioned air from down below at the foot vents swamping out doghouse heat and/or floor heat.

All this works like a champ - but it takes getting used to this new feeling of overall cab coolness instead of feeling jets of cold air blasting directly on you. You must have the fan setting on 3 or 4, as the lower fan speeds won't move enough cool air to create the effect.

P.S. Even without doing the above air routing, our cab floor is never too hot anyway due to the heavy floor covering it came with plus the metal heat shields underneath mounted between the exhaust pipes and the bottom of the cab floor. I don't know if Winnebago or Ford installed those shields.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My 2005 E-450 doesn't have that option on the air conditioning controls.

pnichols wrote:
PLUS ... Ford's air conditioning controls allow you to set the cold air to come out down below aimed at the cab floor and your feet (instead of the usual outlets aimed about chest-high).

I don't think many Ford E350/E450-based Class C owners realize this, but of course it makes all the difference in the world in keeping the cab floor cool. We discovered this capability by accident after owning our Class C for awhile.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may depend upon what chassis you have.

The 2005 Ford E450 chassis under our Class C has a very thick insulated cab floor (maybe done by Winnebago?) PLUS ... Ford's air conditioning controls allow you to set the cold air to come out down below aimed at the cab floor and your feet (instead of the usual outlets aimed about chest-high).

I don't think many Ford E350/E450-based Class C owners realize this, but of course it makes all the difference in the world in keeping the cab floor cool. We discovered this capability by accident after owning our Class C for awhile.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BJean
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
Wishing your son the best. Thanks to him and other Armed Forces personel we will be kept safe.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a interesting VIDEO I will keep it for my friends that have a Ford Based RV.

I am sure glad I have a Chevy Based Class C they don't have that problem.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine under the carpet. There is a youtube video of a member of this site called "Tito" that did it, i followed what he did. It helped a bit. His you tube channel is called rv with tito
Proud father of a US Marine