cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recording Dish

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
This is a complicated question, but I think it hopefully will be a simple answer.

I do not use Dish at home. I have had Dish in my RVs for almost 20 years. I currently have 2 211Z's feeding 2 TVs from a roof mounted Travler in my Forza. I also have a new never activated Wally sitting in a box at home. I also have a Tailgater as a back up in the MH.

What I want to do is record Dish programs thru the Wally at home and take them on the road. I understand I need an external hard drive attached to Wally, but that it has to supply its own power. Suggested brand? And model #? Next, can I attach that hard drive to my 211Z and watch recorded programs or is there something else I have to do?

Is this a valid scenario or am I misinformed?

TKS

Doug
16 REPLIES 16

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
JerryDT wrote:
What software upgrade do you need to activate the 2nd tuner option?

I don't the version number but the update was/is sent to the receiver automatically so any receiver that has been online for awhile will have the software.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dhuse wrote:
Do I still need an external hard drive attached to my Wally? Probably too early to tell how many hours of recording on the Wally??

The Wally has no recording capabilities. If you want to use the Wally as a DVR you must add the external hard drive and call DISH to have the DVR option activated.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

JerryDT
Explorer
Explorer
What software upgrade do you need to activate the 2nd tuner option?
Jerry Thompson
2003 Travel Supreme 38KS03
Tow - Jeep Wrangler

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
Do I still need an external hard drive attached to my Wally? Probably too early to tell how many hours of recording on the Wally??

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was as surprised as you! DISH still markets the unit as a single tuner receiver despite the software upgrade that activated the 2nd tuner option.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Yes, proven results from actual users on the Tiffin forum as well as the folks at DBS Talk where I asked for confirmation of the existence.

I stand corrected per Satelliteguys.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, proven results from actual users on the Tiffin forum as well as the folks at DBS Talk where I asked for confirmation of the existence.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Wally DOES have 2 tuners. However, the 2nd tuner will not work with a dome or anything other than a standard home style antenna/LNB (DPP or better)setup.

Have a source for this info?
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Wally DOES have 2 tuners. However, the 2nd tuner will not work with a dome or anything other than a standard home style antenna/LNB (DPP or better)setup.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:

Because the Wally has two tuners, you can record one program while watching another but you can only record a single program at a time.

The Wally only has 1 tuner unless you're counting the optional OTA tuner.

A Hopper Duo has 2 tuners.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

JerryDT
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rover Bill,
Everytime I call Dish they say the Wally does not have 2 tuners, so I would not be able to record a program, while watching a different channel, even with the external hard drive. Is there a specific model number on your Wally?

JerryDT
Jerry Thompson
2003 Travel Supreme 38KS03
Tow - Jeep Wrangler

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Rover. Exactly the type information I was looking for.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
dhuse wrote:
What I want to do is record Dish programs thru the Wally at home and take them on the road. I understand I need an external hard drive attached to Wally, but that it has to supply its own power. Suggested brand? And model #? Next, can I attach that hard drive to my 211Z and watch recorded programs or is there something else I have to do?

It's very easy to setup the Wally DVR function. I have a Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA1000400) LINK attached to my Wally. It's solid state so it doesn't need any external power supply and has a fast USB 3.0 interface.

When you plugin the drive, Wally will automatically identify it and reformat it for the DVR function. You then need to contact DISH to activate the Wally (cost $40) to enable it to record programs.

Recording programs is a very simple menu option from the DISH program guide. Because the Wally has two tuners, you can record one program while watching another but you can only record a single program at a time.

The Wally programs allow you to copy recorded programs to an alternate external drive for backup or to use on other Wally boxes. The Wally disk and recording format is NOT compatible with the format used by the Hopper 3. I don't know if it will work with your 211z.

I love my DVR enabled Wally!!! :B
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
dhuse wrote:
Next, can I attach that hard drive to my 211Z and watch recorded programs or is there something else I have to do?

Is this a valid scenario or am I misinformed?

TKS

Doug

The recording drive is tied to the receiver that made the recording.