cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I the only one this has happened to?

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Am i the only one this has happened to? I pull into my site, level up on blocks, and start Unhooking in the rain. After I get the WD bars Unhooked I lower back down and unlock the ball latch. I raise it up again (chains still attached), the ball stays in the socket so I add some pressure, it pops loose and because the wet ground the trailer rolls back, buries the wheel chaulk and the jack comes off the block and buries itself too low to get the hitch on the truck under it. A few pump jacks later, the problem was resolved.

Lessons learned: don't rush because the rain, and leave the safety chains on as long as you can.

I feel like a dope. Been rving for years.
18 REPLIES 18

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Yup! Happened to me too.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
It's a bit overkill, but I use a built up pair of 2X12's with 1/2" plywood between them as a jack pad. It's a piece of a beam from home construction. Only 3.5" high, but saves a few inches of travel time for the electric jack, and is nice, big, and stable.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Dont beat ur self up. Happened to me before, jack slide of board and buried itself.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
If you're anywhere that isn't pretty level to start, you should have 4 wedge chocks and 2 x-chocks on the tires before you start unhooking and if not on a hard surface, a board under your jack even if it has a foot.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Concur. If it's raining so hard that the dirt has turned to soft mud already, I'm not sure I'd ever unhook. Or if the ground was already so soft that it could swallow a rubber chock I think I'd want a different camp site.

time2roll wrote:
Rain? I would stay connected if possible and unhook in the morning.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
frisbeekev wrote:
...buries the wheel chaulk and the jack comes off the block

WOn't totally solve the problem, but I ALWAYS place my large block of wood (a 6x6) so that it runs the same direction as trailer, not crossways
Bob

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
You'd have to take the chains off sooner or later.
I think the point is later is best. The chains should come off after the coupler leaves to ball in case the ball was the only thing keeping the trailer from rolling.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first travel trailer that I bought used, was made in 1969 ,only had one axle, and was 12 foot long. I was younger and had no idea what I was doing.

I unhooked at the park, went inside and walked to the back of the trailer, as I got past the axle the jack on the front of the trailer came off of the ground and the trailer started to roll down the hill toward the lake ! WITH ME INSIDE OF IT !! I panicked ran toward the door on the front of the trailer and when I did the jack came back down and dug into the ground stopping the roll.

After that is when I learned about wheel chocks. lol

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rain? I would stay connected if possible and unhook in the morning.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I had it happen with my PUP but fortunately not with my TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Not the only one.

Camped once on a site very far off level. Needed a bazillion legos under the low-side wheels and put the tongue jack up on a stack of 6x6 blocks. Put the stabilizers atop some big rocks so they'd reach the ground. Next think I know, it rolled over the chocks and off the blocks. Bent the tongue jack a bit, but still functional. There is no such thing as chocks that are too big. I recommend those X-jack things that go between the wheels and lock those babies down tight.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No, AZ. Iโ€™ve slept with the chains as a safety backup attached to the TV and used a tow strap around a tree when out of camp.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I had something similar happen once at home, except I had the tongue jack (post) directly on the ground and we we got a heavy rain and it sunk. (dirt, not a drive way). This was one of my earliest "oops" with my RVing experience, many years ago.

After that, I've kept one of these on the tongue tack post, which helps from the post accidently sinking in the ground. I never remove it.

Funny thing is I have one of those, unfortunately it was not on at the time....doh

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
You'd have to take the chains off sooner or later. I have always used wheel chocks and not those cheap plastic things from Camping World. Mine are large and solid rubber.
Because you've had a plastic one crush to nothing? Solid rubber will sink into mud just as easily as a plastic one. If that's a problem, one needs one with more surface area, not more structural integrity. Carrying a few 2x8 cutoffs covers that.