cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitching up

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
When I attach my weight distribution (EZ Lift) should I have the full weight of the trailer on the hitch? If not how much? Should the chains be difficult to attach? Is it normal for the chains to be more difficult to attach from one time to the next or one side note so then the other? If they are very difficult to attach is it ok to adjust how much of the tongue weight is on the ball until I can get them attached? tia
5 REPLIES 5

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Npdchief07 wrote:
When I attach my weight distribution (EZ Lift) should I have the full weight of the trailer on the hitch? If not how much? Should the chains be difficult to attach? Is it normal for the chains to be more difficult to attach from one time to the next or one side note so then the other? If they are very difficult to attach is it ok to adjust how much of the tongue weight is on the ball until I can get them attached? tia

It is normal for them to be harder one side to the other, and depending on the TV angle, it could be harder, or easier one time to the next.

No do not adjust the weight to make it easier to hookup. that will destroy the weight transfer amount. Do like all say. After hooking to the ball. Raise the tongue, and truck with the tongue jack until you can snap the chains into place. Raise it as high as you need to. Won't hurt a thing. Then let it down, and good to go. I
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My Blue Ox WD hitch instruction say the trailer and tow vehicle should ride level.

My TT is 24" corners to ground when it sits level unhitched. So I adjust the WD hitch so it is about that on when connected to the truck. An inch or so does not seem to make much difference so I keep the nose lower.

Empty from the dealer I was on the 7th chain link, he said I would have to check when loaded for the road. Loaded for the road takes 8 or 9 links.

So to the truck, then ready to go the wheel wells are about and inch or so from their non-loaded position. The proof of course is in the ride I really do not notice the difference of one link.

If the TT and TV are not aligned, the tension on the bars is not equal. I notice this when parking at the campsite, as I rarely get a completely straight shot when backing in.

To hitch or unhitch I use the tongue jack to lift the ball a few inches to reduce the tension on the bars.

The scales say I have about 12% on the hitch when loaded for the road, depending on how heavy we load the TT.

You can do a lot of tail chasing trying to get the perfect match, but the weight distribution usually changes during your travels anyway.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
While your attaching them, raise the tongue of the trailer until it is easy to do so.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I find it impossible to hitch up my EZ chains without the jack taking weight off.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
A little confused (I often am), but when you attach your WD bars, use your tongue jack to take as much weight off the hitch as possible...once the bars are attached and snapped up, then completely retract the tongue jack....

chains should not be hard to attach...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro