cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Voltage problems

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to have a voltage problem and it is affecting many items in my Class A. I installed 4 new batteries and fuses recently. Here are the problems:
The panel lights are not lighting up.
The refrigerator is not staying on LP during transit.
The drop down windshield shades are not working at all.
The generator is not staying on and is giving up and down voltage readings. BTW, ALL these issues were present BEFORE i put in the new batteries. I tested the old batteries and they were shot.
Related to voltage? I need ideas.
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
16 REPLIES 16

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Update: All issues resolved.
Last week, I unknowingly replaced the original 6 V batteries with 12V batteries and wired them like 6 V. They have been re-wired correctly as of today.
The converter was burned out. Replaced. All operating smoothly now and all batteries are charging.

Thanks to Brad and Jeff fron B&B Mobile RV repairs in Tulsa!They also took out my old TV and fixed my refrigerator.
Onan 5000 generator

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Tom in Tulsa wrote:
I seem to have a voltage problem and it is affecting many items in my Class A. I installed 4 new batteries and fuses recently. Here are the problems:
The panel lights are not lighting up.
The refrigerator is not staying on LP during transit.
The drop down windshield shades are not working at all.
The generator is not staying on and is giving up and down voltage readings. BTW, ALL these issues were present BEFORE i put in the new batteries. I tested the old batteries and they were shot.
Related to voltage? I need ideas.

What is the voltage at the house batteries?
What is the voltage at the chassis batteries?
Which batteries did you replace?
Pos and neg, correct?
Also helps to name your rig and model for better feedback.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy check. Since this occurred BEFORE you changed out the batteries, I'm sure you installed the new ones correctly. The simplest and IMO the FIRST thing I'd do is DISCONNECT your antenna that was installed by CW. IF your issues then go away, I would go BACK to CW and have them fix it, but with caution. They've been known to do sloppy work. That said, if disconnecting the antenna doesn't fix it, you've got a loose ground somewhere in your system. Very time consuming but pretty cheap fix...good luck,...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, 10forty. The issue dates back before the new batteries, and now that i think about it, it all started with Camping World installing the antenna last month. (see above) I will test the main battery and it could be all co-incidental. The main thing is my electric panel and test panel does not light up.
Onan 5000 generator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IS that KING antenna for Sat tv or Over the air? King Sat Antennas seem to be ok but OTA's not so much.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ray. Some of that is making sense. I had an indash CD player put in a month ago and I can't turn it off. It is always on.
Another issue is a King TV antenna put in by Camping World in Tulsa and nothing has worked right since! CW denies anything was done incorrectly.
Onan 5000 generator

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Given that your voltages are all over the place with the generator running, I would go looking for a loose cable somewhere. My main concern is in the wiring of the batteries. I'm certainly no expert, but most RVs, I've found, use multiple 6VDC batteries wired to produce 12VDC. How did I find out this convenient fact? I, too, bought an older RV and replaced the 2 house batteries. When I did, I bought two brand new 12VDC marine deep cycle/starting batteries and wired them exactly the same way as the old batteries came out. Went inside to make sure I had current and when I flipped the light switch, the lights blinded me for about 5 seconds before they blew out. It then occurred to me that I had wired two 12VDC batteries in series, creating 24VDC....DOH! I blew several fuses in the 12 panel and had to replace the overhead 12VDC fluorescent fixtures and replace bulbs in the incandescent fixtures. Fortunately, I didn't burn out any critical equipment, as the fuse panel took the hit and protected everything else.

Just something to think about. Not saying you don't have everything connected correctly, but a gentle reminder that most coaches run on 12VDC. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

rbonecrusher
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2003 Holliday Rambler on work horse frame. It had electrical issues that seem to be under the dash. I cleaned all the grounds and replaced the starter batt. The problem went away.
Ray

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Check your ground connections carefully. Strip back some of the insulation and check for corrosion in the wiring.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Batteries wired and tested to have 12 volts output.
Look adjacent to the batteries for a fuse or circuit breaker
Go to the 12 volt power distribution panel, normally located adjacent to the 120 volt AC circuit breakers, check for 12 volts DC there. Look for a main fuse in DC distribution panel.
There should be a coach battery disconnect. Try cycling it to off then on. Listen for strong click.
There should be a large fuse for cables to the inverter, this is not the one. I would expect it to be a small one some where between 30-60 amp.
Look at manual about page 185 for battery disconnect information.
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Tom in Tulsa wrote:

I bought this 16 yr old RV from a dieing friend and have poured a bunch of $$$ into it.

Did your dying friend have any maintenance records for the RV? Maybe they can give you some insight into your problem.

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
This is a 2002 Monoco La Palma, workhorse chassis. Four new 12 V deep cycle marine batteries and terminals and fuses. They are installed correctly. I get the same reading with the new batteries as i did before. My main battery is 4 years plus old. I do have an inverter, but dont know what it does.
I bought this 16 yr old RV from a dieing friend and have poured a bunch of $$$ into it.
Onan 5000 generator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Batteries being wired wrong would be first thing to check.
Are they 12 volt batteries or 6 volters?
Is this on the Monaco on Workhorse chassis?

I read a story long ago about a RVer who went to a dealer I've done business with and had 'em install brand new 6 Volt batteries. His story was a lot like yours.

installed WRONG as it turned out.

That is one mistake that, when a dealer makes it, There is simply NO EXCUSE.. Now I know I have a certificate in electronics and a lot of experience with battery systems.. And not many Dealer Technicians can make that claim but still.. For a dealer to screw up a battery install.

And yes. I had one do that on my car. Put it in backwards. For about 1 second.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Batteries being wired wrong would be first thing to check.
Are they 12 volt batteries or 6 volters?
Is this on the Monaco on Workhorse chassis?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker