cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ocean Temps

Talleyho69
We are now both healthy and spent this afternoon on the beach under our umbrella. We always do at least 2 miles walking and 1 swimming with our two monsters, both Mexican weimariners EVERY single day no matter what. Finally, afternoon time for us!

We also set up our pocket thermometers. Today on Playa la Ropa in Zihuatanejo, in the bay, the water temperature was 32.7 C or 90.8 F.

It doesn't get much better than that!

Yes, we are now using our SUPs daily!
20 REPLIES 20

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Quite off topic, although weather related where I live: British Columbia is burning up! Not all of course, but the smoke and air pollution is now classed as the worst in the world! Nearly every town and city here is choking, thousands have been evacuated, with over 600 fires burning, many are huge and out of control. We had a several-day break from the smoke but the past two days, and future prospects for more, are dismal. We've had no wind and no rain locally, for three months.

Talleyho69
I would think the areas that are broiling and freezing would have a higher DAC rate. Here in Zihuatanejo, we get 400 kwh per month at the cheap rates.

DAC rates high??? Neighbors with a pool who claim they use the pump only 2 hours a day just got an 8,000+ p bill-and they are trying to use less.

We are thinking hard and long about putting in a pool. No decision yet.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
....and everyone is more interested in arguing over campfire permits than they are in hauling water to quench the forest fire.

I just read where AMLO (the president elect)...

Has directed his new energy secretary to look at subsidies for the poor who are helpless in broiling hot and freezing cold geographic areas. An audit for CFE? Look at your home electrical bill in the USA or Canada

You YOU live comfortably on 200 kWh per month? On the DAC rate down here which translates to "Energy Hog" kWh rates can soar to double that north of the border.

So far (knock on wood) 2018 has been relatively hurricane free both Pacific and Atlantic. Without winds however to stir upwelling in the Pacific sea surface temps can rise to 35c which is a hurricane time-bomb. It could over feed a thousand mile diameter Category 5 nightmare.

Talleyho69
Here's a cool video of it: http://www.elimparcial.com/Videos/vervideo/?v=83343-Graban-la-formacion-de-un-tornado-en-Cananea

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about crazy weather, there was a small tornado yesterday in Cananea in the state of Sonora, no damage reported and yes there are tornadoes in Mexico rare but occasional, we have even had small tornadoes in San Diego and water spouts.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Heat Arctic surface temp water to 30c to a depth of 1000 mm and it would feed a hurricane (however the air needs to be warmed, and humid as well).

The climate has been changing for billions of years. Inland seas ferns in Saskatchewan, and the Siberian Arctic. Miles thick ice cutting Yosemite Valley. etc.

But for the last several decades Reader's Digest and New York Times educated (expert?) scare mongers have been twisting facts to the point where reality is getting a skwereing in the process.

Musn't lose sight of reality. Not only must civilized nations chop CO2 emissions, Brasil and Equatorial Africa must REVERSE the destruction of their rain forest. STOP! And reforest.

I just read a piece that shouts Lake Tahoe has NEVER BEEN SO WARM! Lake Tahoe temps like sea temperatures are measured on the surface and there has been dramatically fewer summer thunderstorms for the last several years. Less wind, less upwelling.

When Jesus captures a 61 F reading on his thermocouple and comes up shivering, it's a lot more relevant than a freak article in the Associated Press.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of depressions that turn to hurricanes in the Atlantic start as depressions around the islands of the Gran Canarias of the coast of Africa, the last depressions have started much further to the West and at higher Latitudes or on the coast of the Guyana's, we have not really started on the hurricane season for the North Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, we still have until November to get pommelled.

I just hope that it is a mild season and that not to much damage and misery is bestowed upon those that suffered last season in the Caribbean islands or the folks in Mexico's west coast.

With the climate changing so much do not be surprised if Ireland and England get a hurricane at their coasts, not just a big tropical depression.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The comment about the atlantic being cooler is interesting, I thoguh the water was warmer which explains the bloom in seaweed causing issues on the maya coast. Regardless a warmer pacific could mean a nasty hurricane season on the west coast.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When there is no wind there is no mixing no upwelling. Hurricanes feed on the first 1000 mm of ocean surface water. Do your research.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I could not remember the correct term, in any case the veda applies to them too, my dad used to say that the months should have an R also so that he would be able to eat langostinos y ceviche he would call them MaRyo, JuRnio, JuRlio and AgoRsto as a joke when we had lunch at Boca del Rio in Veracruz.

I got it!

KINGDOM: Animalia
PHYLUM: Anthropoda
SUBPHYLUM: Crustacea
CLASS: Malacostraca
ORDER: Decapoda
FAMILY:Nephropidae
GENUS: Homarus
SPECIES: americanus
The Homarus genus Includes the American and European lobsters
Otherwise known as lobsters, langosta or langostinos in Spanish.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, am I forgiven?

navegator

The biggest lobster that I have ever seen was in the island of Mikonos in Greece, 5 of us had Christmas dinner one the tail alone, that thing was huge!

Talleyho69
Lobster aren't mollusks and aren't filter feeders!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
In the Gulf of Mexico the no fishing season is called "veda" it lasts four months May, June, July and August, it is easy to remember these months do not have an "R" in them in Spanish they are Mayo, Junio, Julio y Agosto same as in English this is done to prevent the mollusks from being taken when they are reproducing and some are not good to eat, one does get sick.

navegator

Talleyho69
OK, I'm not trying to start an issue here, but in Guerrero, where it is enforced, and supposedly in the rest of Mexico, Lobster season is closed July 1 through October 1, and the same for oysters, sigh.

Is it different elsewhere?

Yes, the world is changing dramatically. It's warming up. Hurricanes in California? That isn't a shocker.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know what language you speak in but I have to agree that there is definitely warming going on and they have announced today that California could expect hurricanes. That would be a first in over 160 years.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog