cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

house thermostat

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
This winter, for the first time, we'll be down south someplace and miss old man winter. We hope anyway. We'd like to put a thermostat in our house so that we could keep track of the temperature inside the house etc. Which thermostats do this sort of thing? Do they do other things too? Which models do you recommend?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
11 REPLIES 11

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a honeywell and I can check temps, believe it can be set up to alert me.

As said above, turn off the water, preferably drain the pipes too.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I do keep my internet going when I go south, and I have a Honeywell wifi thermostat.
My HVAC indeed packed up winter before last, and I could see that by checking my thermostat. Sent my neighbor in, called the repair guys, all fixed.

But on the grounds you can never be too careful, I shut off the water and make sure nothing is in a position to freeze and leak on stuff. Recognize that you cannot prevent every disaster, but just some of the obvious ones.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
Good points everyone. We were originally planning to shut down our internet/cable etc and save that monthly fee. Thanks for your help.

Nice thing about Simplisafe - no internet/cable needed.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Posted in the FTer forum?!? Pretty much by definition, FTers don't have a 'thermostat at home to set when they snowbird'. Just sayin.
www.putt10.net

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Good points everyone. We were originally planning to shut down our internet/cable etc and save that monthly fee. Thanks for your help.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you intend to keep internet service at the house? You'll need it for the thermostat.

I installed a monitored Simplisafe burglar alarm system which also monitors power loss, smoke, temperature, and water leakage. For $25 per month they monitor it all. I can check the house temperature anytime I want. Simplisafe has a built in cellular system, no separate internet service needed.

I also get a 10 percent discount on my homeowner's insurance.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have lived here over 30 years and our furnace quit only once. Our power goes out maybe twice a year on average. When their is no power there is no internet. How do you turn your heat off and on with no internet? We turn the heat down when we go and when we get back it is what it is.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have a NEXIA system that was installed with our new AC unit. Works great, and I can access and control it from anywhere with internet, via my smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Can check and/or change temperature, settings, or whatever. With additional units, I can have security sensors, lighting controld or whatever as needed.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
I'm researching this for our house as well. So far I've found out that I need to make sure the furnace/thermostat has a C wire, or be prepared to give up independent fan control if the system has it.

We have a Lux wifi thermostat for our park model and it works well. We can turn on the air conditioning while we're driving up north to cool it down, or turn on the heat in the winter.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I can only speak for the Nest. Works great for us.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
There are literally dozens of different types in budgets from less than a hundred to several hundred dollars. Nest is one popular option that allows you to monitor via tablet or smart phone. Personally I think a basic programable will do just fine. Program it, and as long as you dont have a power failure it will do just fine.