cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling jacks would not retract

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
So, as is my habit I went out to get gas before our trip tomorrow. Like to get the unit out to do that to check for issues early.

I switched on the ignition and pressed the all retract button and nothing happened. I could hear solenoids engaging, but no whine of the pump allowing the jacks to retract.

Got my son to man the console so I could check the system from the business end. All 4 solenoids engage, but the pump didn't do the job it needed.

Got out the meter, but without a wiring diagram it's a crapshoot that I'm putting my probes on anything meaningful.

Began troubleshooting, thought "I'll check other sensors" I disengaged the parking brake. The panel beeped and after a few seconds the jacks retracted. Worked like normal after that.

Any ideas? I need to know a bit more about how these operate electrically. Very strange. Ignition was on, voltage on the vehicle and house batteries was normal....no clue here.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD
7 REPLIES 7

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice. I'll be getting the wiring diagram and other documents from Newmar I've we return.

Being an engineer, I have to know more
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with levelers is that everyone experiences this at some point. And then the next time it all works well. Who knows?

In any case, it behooves everyone with levelers to investigate and write down the procedure for manual or emergency retraction. It usually happens right when you don't want it to, or the rain is coming down in torrents!

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Tried with and without engine running. I did have the emergency brake on as they won't deploy without that.

Equalizer brand is what the control panel says.

Been running fine since. Currently on a trip and no problems.
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I would start motor. But if its a bad pump motor. Mine has a nut on top you can put a socket and drill motor on to run.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
If an LCI system the motor may need to be running in order for jacks to operate...on my old DP if you didn't have 13.4 volts to the system you would get a low voltage light. You disengaging the parking brake put it into emergency retract mode. Next time, start engine first, then retract jacks.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
What brand levelers?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was the emergency brake on? Ours has to be for jacks to work.