Explorer
are honda generators water proof can they be run in the rain
36 REPLIES 36

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my favorite quote:

soren wrote:

I use a Honda 2000, on a daily basis as a homebuilder. It runs eight hours a day, sitting in the mud, snow or on a gravel pile. It has spent days in the pouring rain, seen a few snow storms, and got peed on by a dog. After three years, the case is banged up a bit, it needs a tune-up and an oil change. As for a rain cover......seriously? Don't forget to knit a little sweater for it too....it's chilly out.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Deletd
The older we get, the faster we go

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Olylen is suggesting the generator may electrify the ground.

Tvov wrote:
OLYLEN wrote:
If you don't run in the rain you miss all the people, dogs, cats and ducks doing a funny dance when they get near.

LEN

lol, ok, you got me on this one? Is this referencing something?

Oh. I guess that is a possibility to be aware of.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That doesn't happen by accident.

Lynnmor wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

If you are camped near a popular fishing spot, go ahead and electrify the ground, gather up the fishing worms and sell them. Google it. :B
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

If you are camped near a popular fishing spot, go ahead and electrify the ground, gather up the fishing worms and sell them. Google it. :B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tvov wrote:
OLYLEN wrote:
If you don't run in the rain you miss all the people, dogs, cats and ducks doing a funny dance when they get near.

LEN

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:

LEN

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer

LEN

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a metal cage dog crate that folds completely flat. The gennie fits in their fine and I can wrap a tarp around it and leave both ends open for air circulation. That keep 99% of the rain out and the little that might come though will not hurt it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If you happen to have one, a piece of plywood simply laid against a generator will work for some rain protection, and provides plenty of room for air flow. We did that for a week after Hurricane Irene. You can certainly cut the plywood smaller to make it easier to move around.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
in this case, just put a tarp on top.
Not if it's running.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I like my company's motto KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

In this case, just put a tarp on top.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

The plugs into the generators are tight and flush, so a teeny bit of water may intrude, but not enough to do anything.

But they are not SEALED and it doesn't take much to create a voltage leak or to aggravate a connection that is already a little iffy.

And then.....there is the air intake where water might be sucked into the carb.

And then......if it is air cooled, a LOT of water might be sucked in around the heads and if nothing else that might drop the temperature suddenly which is not good.

If the generator part itself has any cooling air flow.....are you beginning to see the picture here ?? Probably not but hopefully others are.

The people who design and make the generators say DO NOT RUN THEM WHILE SITTING OUT IN THE RAIN. It is foolish to ignore that recommendation.

You are free, of course, to be as foolish as you want......but it's not nice to encourage others to follow that path.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Far as I know (tell me if I'm wrong) but electricity and water don't mix well.
You're thinking the electrical connections are getting doused with water. They are not.

The plugs into the generators are tight and flush, so a teeny bit of water may intrude, but not enough to do anything. Now, a raging gale and a downpour, that's different.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman