cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to carry large grill

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I found a new grill for my house and would like to take it camping with us. We are a family of 11 so there is a lot of food to cook. The grill is 5’ long and collapses to 24” high or so. I tow with a 12 passenger van so putting it inside is not feasible. Has anyone put anything under camper? Can this go on bumper? It folds down to fit in a truck bed.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/event-grill/prod10840020?xid=plp_product_1_1
29 REPLIES 29

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
2017 bullet. 35’ front to bumper. I am already max on tounge weight and rgawr. I thought about putting it inside but I don’t think I can get it through the front storage door. I don’t think I can get it into the front door either. Unless someone knows some tricks.

With a little work I got two bicycles and a 12' Kayak inside my old 30' camper.
Hauled like that from N. Alabama to Topsail Hill's in San Destin, Fl.
BTW: Never again...

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
do you need to keep all 11?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
NCMODELA wrote:
Yes. Another crazy family with 11. I have a ladder rack to put bikes etc. I could put something on the rear but I have heard that increases sway considerably. I could also put a hitch up front and put it up there. Looking for any other options or suggestions. It may just have to stay home

I would just put the hitch up front on the vehicle and store it there as long as you can find a rack that doesn't disrupt wind flow/cooling. I think your thoughts of going to a 4 burner grill is the best option though.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
RockDodger wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
What van can carry 11 people? I'm thinking f550 bus

I was thinking that exact same thing.:h

12 or 15 passenger vans. Chevy Express 2500 or 3500 (3/4 or 1 ton, respectively). Or Ford E250 or E350. GMC Savana. Those are all passenger vans that can make good tow vehicles. The 1 tons are good and heavy and have long wheelbase. You can find them with either gas or diesel.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
local commuter vans here carry 15 IIRc.
bumpy

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

I was thinking that exact same thing.:h
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

A large part of the summer we have burnbans. No fire orcharcoal so propane grill only option.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
How come more people don't cook over the fire? Its so much easier to haul a steel bar and a few grates. I'd rather cook over the fire. Don't cook with pine obviously. You could even use the fire pit as a charcoal pit. then after dinner toss some logs on. I usually bring a set of welding gloves to handle the hot steel. let it cool and store it away.

Another idea, those square charcoal grills are on sale at lowes quite a a bit. they break down to store-able sizes. two of those would probably pack away better than a large propane grill.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
We normally don’t go further than 4 to 6 hrs away. But I’d rather stick with what I have than take two vehicles.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
How far away are your shorter trips? Are you open to driving two vehicles?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I normally use. With a 32” long 3 burner Coleman grill. This setup has worked great so far

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Series-Cast-Iron-Grill-Griddles/727443.uts?slotId=3

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
I think I’m going to settle for a smaller 4 burner not an 8 burner for just ease of transport.

Many of us use a Weber Q for camping, the most popular model probably being the smallest Q100 / Q120 / Q1000 / Q1200 series. However, it is available in larger versions so perhaps a couple of those would work just as well for you and certainly be a lot easier to carry & store.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
Well... I mean it is camping, so roughing it with only 4 burners and all:)
I think that's the best plan. If it takes a little longer to cook, well you've got time to kill at the campground, right?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids