Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadians: Travel Warnings and Health Insurance

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the latest travel warnings issued by Canada:

Northern states - Avoid non-essential travel

Avoid non-essential travel to the following northern states due to high levels of violence, linked mainly to organized crime:
•Chihuahua
•Coahuila (except the city of Saltillo)
•Durango
•Nuevo León (except the city of Monterrey)
•Sinaloa (except the city of Mazatlán)
•Sonora (except the cities of Hermosillo and Guaymas/San Carlos)
•Tamaulipas.

Exercise a high degree of caution in the cities that are excluded from the above advisory.

Safety and security situation

Western states - Avoid non-essential travel

Avoid non-essential travel to the western states of Guerrero (including Acapulco but excluding the cities of Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Taxco), Michoacán (excluding the city of Morelia) and Colima (excluding the city of Manzanillo) due to the high levels of violence and organized crime.

Note that even Kino is under that travel warning. Some Canadian Travel Health insurers will not cover you for any Health Issue if you are in those areas. Some will cover you but not if your injury is crime related. Notice that most of Sonora and Sinaloa are included in that advisory. San Carlos is not part of the warning but if you had a heart attack while driving from Nogales you might not be covered. If you broke your leg at a Pemex on the highway you might not be covered. This is serious. I did notice that the full warning has a paragraph devoted to car jacking and road block thefts. SUV's and full size pickups are especially at risk.

Moisheh
112 REPLIES 112

Talleyho69
Through Qualitas, we were not covered for an attack (rock missiles shot from a device at vehicles on a toll road) because it was determined to be a terrorist act and not covered.

Just saying....

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
" You are covered for terrorism attackas as long as your are not part of it or do not ignore a travel warning of the specific location.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
That sounds really interesting!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
For your info, here are the replies I received from Novamar:

First response: Thank you for your e-mail. We do offer short term policies that cover accidents and unforseen medical expenses. This is a travel Insurance policy, we offer IMG’s Patriot Travel plan. I have attached the brochure so you may see all that the policy offers. It can cover you 3 days or up to 6 months. You choose how many days of coverage you want to pay for.

Let me know if you are interested on some quotes. I would only need to know the starting and ending date of coverage you would like.

Second response: Thank you for your e-mail.

Yes, the policy can be sold to Canadians who reside in Canada and travel to Mexico. These policies are designed for worldwide trips. You are covered from the day you leave home as it is a travel Insurance policy. SO you were to take a road trip to Mexico you will be covered on your way here in the US as well.

I was reading the general conditions of the policy. You are covered for terrorism attackas as long as your are not part of it or do not ignore a travel warning of the specific location. If you want to see the general conditions it is specified in page 17 and coverage through the US is specified on page 16. Basically you’re covered for any “urgency” while crossing the US.

Should you have further questions, let me know.

Third response: Thank you for your response. That is correct the policy does cover accidents and unforseen medical expenses including ambulance. (he is refering to areas that warnings exist)

Let me know if you would like to go forward with the travel policy. We’d only need your Passport number and contact information including a home address.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Whimsy and vicissitude are hallmarks of Mexican bureaucracy. Personal and automobile regs must have been amended 500 times since 1990.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
yea its an issue. I suppose if I took it in under a 10 year permit then left it down there then applied, it may work, but then again maybe not. Under NAFTA all of this stuff was supposed to dissapear in 2019, but we all know what just hapopened to NAFTA.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Vehicle limited to the nationality. Ciudadano = Mex plates and Driver Lic. Extraneous needs a valid extraneous DL and extraneous plates (TIP)

Ciudadano = Mexican Citizen

Imigrante = Can use TIP for the first of the imigrante permits

Then must switch over to a nacional plated vehicle vehicle.

Quicksilver was "imported" long before the new rules went into effect.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
except you cannot bring in an RV with that, kinda defeats the purpose

Talleyho69
Maybe it's time for you to get your permanent residency. It's done at a consulate in your home country, one stop, then one stop when you get here. Done.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if you can do that with a temp residnet card if you live in mexico 6 minths of the year. Probably not

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
It is an interesting thread. The good the bad and the ugly of each country. Makes me happy I live fulltime in Mexico and I am a permanent resident. Of course, all that can change at anytime like anywhere else.

A teacher in Texas had a heart attack, needed two stents, make a long story short the bill was 164K and his employer (school district) policy only covered 55K. What a crock.

My private cardilogist charges a measely 2000 pesos for a complete workup includling blood, x-rays, stress test, the works.

He also works in the social system. Should I need surgery, he would be my doc and it wouldn't cost me a dime.

I'm currently working via what is called Modulo 40, where at sixty, if you have fulfilled your social security quarters (here it is weeks), at age sixty you can leave the IMSS system via employer and begin to make contributions to your SS account. You choose the desired amount of monthly income, and based on your weeks worked, you make additional payments for a couple of years and when ready to retire, you collect your desired pension.

Maximum now in IMSS is 50,000 pesos per month and I know many people who collect very near that amount who worked as teachers for 35 years.

Bottom line, apart from the pension, should I need heart surgery be it transplant (we just did one at no charge here in Monterrey last week), bypass, stents, etc., no charge. BTW, I now have to pay my own IMSS medical premium and the yearly cost is 6400 pesos. You can do the math.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
And your effort is appreciated.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I just dig up the info, its up to anyone who wants to follow it up.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Read the policy. Verbal from an agent means nothing. There is a terrorism clause with a full description of what is defined as terrorism. Another clause describes travel warnings. Too complex for me to look further. I would not buy that policy without more investigation.

Moisheh