cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift tie downs with Happijac Quick loads?

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Will be looking at used truck camper in a week or so, but haven’t had a truck camper in 30+ years (and then bought truck and camper “came along”).

Because I have already looked at it and just need to check out a few systems and repairs the owner was going to make, I suspect we are going to be picking it up. New truck, no tie downs. 150 miles to travel.

Looking at Torklift tie downs (no holes in hubby’s new truck, and seems like more holding power because of placement), but wondered if Happijac Quick loads will work with them?! Torklift Fastguns are $$$$$.

Also looking at picking up a universal bed mat. Good idea, or not?
20 REPLIES 20

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
The Happijac quickloads will work fine. You'll need to get some short pieces of chain to extend them to the Torklift mounts. I used them on my previous TC for several years, work great.
Joe & Evelyn

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Welsteach,
If you are driving 150 miles to go get the camper, besides the discussion on tie downs, think about the electrical connection. Both of my campers came with very long electrical cords to plug into the truck, long enough to plug into the connectional at the rear of the truck, however many campers come with shorter cables that plug into a connector in the bed of the truck.
This is the electrical cable and connection for tail lights stop lights and directional lights.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Like I stated before, I get no movement, either, front to back or side to side and never have. Obviously, neither does Chuck. A good part of my 'camping experience' is off road so if it's (camper) is going to move, that is when it will move. I do off grade turns, steep inclines (in 4L) and I have to ford 2 streams to get to my property. Why I have a 4x4 with aggressive tires, lockers front and rear and skid plates. I need them to get to where we camp most of the time.

Only rubber mats around here are in the stock trailer....lol

Your mileage may vary but I know what mine is....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a sprayed bedliner (Linex) and use a rubber mat between it and the camper. I've used Torklift tie downs and fastguns for about 8 years and been very pleased. I occasionally get a little movement, maybe 3/8" to 1/4" and will occasionally adjust the Fastvuns during a trip.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Gary_Morency
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed the Torklift fronts on my 2018 3500 ram on Fri took about 1 hr only struggle was getting the drivers side past the brake cable. As far as angle there seems to be lots at least on the Ram and I used a long piece of threaded rod instead of chains along with my HappiJac quick loads. With the jacks folded in they just miss touching the turnbuckle.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
I've used spray-in and bedmats and they seem to perform the same to me. I do have HJ tie-downs and qwik-loads. They've been on this truck for 8 years and have been on my 2 previous trucks too, and been through 3 different TC's.

Chuck, again, I believe the angle of the tie down(s) in relationship to the camper / truck relationship has a lot to do with camper shift in the bed. Neither my Lance or my present one has never moved at all.

Very possible, I've never had any tie-down system other than the HJ, and it's performed very well, even with the AF 1140 and none of them have ever moved while driving.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
I've used spray-in and bedmats and they seem to perform the same to me. I do have HJ tie-downs and qwik-loads. They've been on this truck for 8 years and have been on my 2 previous trucks too, and been through 3 different TC's.

Chuck, again, I believe the angle of the tie down(s) in relationship to the camper / truck relationship has a lot to do with camper shift in the bed. Neither my Lance or my present one has never moved at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
welsteach wrote:
I have a spray in liner already. Will do the bed mat, but wondered if universal is fine, or do I need to buy for specific truck since the bed of the camper lies down center of truck? Torklift frame mounts are on the horizon, but wanted to know if the Torklift Fastguns were necessary or whether I could buy Happijac Qwik Loads instead.

Mix and match with tie down's is a non issue. The holes in the outboard TL frame mount's don't know what are in them, only you do.

The main reason I never changed over to the TL frame mounts and kept the HJ's is because I regularly negotiate seasonal roads and those frame mount tie down points sticking out are an invitation to catch a log or rock. My HJ's are up out of harm's way. That is very important to me.

I actually remove my jacks in the summertime when the camper stays on the truck. Just the jack legs sticking out can be an issue on forested seasonal roads.

Mellow Mike (RV Adventures) found that out the hard way with his Arctic Fox. Caught a front jack leg on a rock and tore it loose from the TC and it wasn't a cheap fix either.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
welsteach wrote:
I have a spray in liner already. Will do the bed mat, but wondered if universal is fine, or do I need to buy for specific truck since the bed of the camper lies down center of truck? Torklift frame mounts are on the horizon, but wanted to know if the Torklift Fastguns were necessary or whether I could buy Happijac Qwik Loads instead.

My 2¢- Mat- Aftermarket specific to truck, IE cut out to fit, cost wise local auto parts not really that much more. I like because the mat lives in bed, camper offloaded without tail gate mat doesnt offer to move. DeeZee, etc.

As far as using different brands on tiedowns and brackets. Absolutely ok to mix.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
3/8” rubber mat in the back of the truck, spray in bed liners are not made or should I say were not designed to be used to carry a camper. The camper will slide around with a spray in bed liner, my son in law had one. He now has a rubber bed liner which works far better. I still get a little movement of the camper ( a little) maybe 1/4” to 3/8” but I’m always checking and adjusting my fast guns if required. I find I have to adjust them more when traveling on logging roads, but a good wind will also make Camper adjustments while traveling down the Hwy.
I have Torklift fastguns and love them. No holes in the body of the truck. Yes they cost money, but everything does.
Soup.

Has zilch to do with comparing the Fast Guns to the Quick Loads. Both impact the tie down's not the mounts.

Myself, I'd rather spend a hundred bucks than 400 for basically the same thing. Only difference is they don't say Tork Lift on the handle....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg.. The problem with excessive tension on the front tie down's is you can literally pull the mounting lug out of the camper if the lug is weak from rot or if your camper bounces (like on a rough road), something I'd be concerned about.

That is a non issue with me

Actually had that happen with the Lance, I didn't pull the mount, I pulled the hook out of the HJ tie down, hit a whoop on a 2 lane.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
One thing I find imteresting is the TL front tie downs on most trucks are almost vertical, whereas my HJ's are at a substantial angle. It's my contention that when the tie down point are almost vertical, that contributes to camper movement. Maybe I'm all wet but I don't think so.

It does.
My Lance has bracket pretty forward and TL tie-down could not be used with front hole due the jacks.
So with small ties angle the camper "walk" back. I had shims under who did not move, so my only explanation that on long drive the propulsion was moving the camper back.
Putting additional tension on the springs seem to solve the issue.
Than I run into camper selling photo where ties were close to vertical like on the picture above.
The camper had nylon strap added between rear legs and attached somewhere behind the cabin.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I find imteresting is the TL front tie downs on most trucks are almost vertical, whereas my HJ's are at a substantial angle. It's my contention that when the tie down point are almost vertical, that contributes to camper movement. Maybe I'm all wet but I don't think so.
2015 Backpack SS1500