cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner searching for a trailer

Bigbeartr57
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, my wife and I have started the search for a travel trailer and are searching for advice!

Our plans are to use it as a transitional home while we move to San Diego where we will ultimately be moving onto a boat and keeping the trailer for recreational use. We plan to live on it for around a month or so during the move and just some road trips otherwise. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 V8 and I was thinking we should keep it under 7000#. We are expecting our first child prior to the move and hav a 50# dog. We aren’t massively concerned about cost but that is always a factor. We want good bang for our buck but aren’t really looking for anything fancy.

Any brand recommendations (really interested in this question)? New vs used? What to avoid or look for? Any experiences with a Murphy bed? (My wife wants a walk around bed but is worried that a Murphy may not be very comfortable and doesn’t offer a lot of options to replace the mattress and is one more thing to break)
25 REPLIES 25

Bigbeartr57
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with Consignment dealers? I believe someone recommenced checking out PPL. I had some friends tell me to steer clear based on their personal experiences. Do they provide guarantees or at least inspect the vehicles to protect buyers from lemmons?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
List your priorities, ours were, exit bed without crawling over your spouse, full bath, pantry, linen storage and small enough to wind though streets to find museums and other tourist traps.

A 25 ft TT with a small slide filled our needs.

Write them and make notes about the TTs you like.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a new baby, you definitely don't want a crawl-over bed. One or both of you will be getting up several times a night.

Hang in there. Having kids gets a lot easier after the first few months. Then things are just fine for the next 12 years. Then not. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
With four of us, two people have to slide to the back and around the corner. Would be simpler to just have to slide in. Also there is less foot space for a equal table size. I see the need if there are more than four, but for four and under the booth dinette or freestanding dinette are superior in my mind. But everyone is different.

Bigbeartr57
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:
We have and most days love our Rockwood Minilite 2504S. It is around 25’, was two single bunks for the kids and a Murphy bed. Love the Murphy bed as it lets us have so much in a small trailer. It is totally different then setting a table up to sleep on. It can be converted from couch to sleeping In About 20 seconds with one. In the morning you just put the pillows on the bedside tables, pull the straps over top blankets and sheet and all and lift. It is a short queen, and a full size queen will not fit, but any short queen will. We have enough open floor space that we could have the play pen set up for our newborn. Bunks make great storage when the kids are still to small to sleeep on them. We spent 23 nights in it In July.

Things we dislike are the small tank sizes and the U dinette. We only get about three days capacity on the tanks.

What didn't you like about the U-dinette? I kinda like that seetup. I like being able to sit across with your legs up like you might a couch.

Bigbeartr57
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
All good points that others have suggested.

Something you may want to consider is something similar to what I have. I have a 2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS, it has a rear bed slide as well as a side slide and bunks across the front. 26 feet, right around 6000lbs fully loaded for camping. 50 gallon fresh/grey/black tanks. Got the trailer when kids were coming along, so the bunks worked good for them. Kids no longer coming along, so the bunks are now a good storage space, with things out of the way. Only thing I would change about my trailer is the rear slide bed. If I had to do it again, I'd look for the same thing, only with the bed shifted 90 degrees. Instead of side-by-side sideways, I'd prefer a bed with the head at the back/window wall. Easier to get in/out, and easier to make up the bed.

When I got it, I was towing it with a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. It was a capable tow vehicle, but quickly ran out of power towing in the Colorado mountains. It would go, just not very fast, on some steep uphills and downhills.

My wife loves your point about the bed. Thats one of her top priorities is to get one where we don't have to crawl all over each other to get in and out.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The three things that have to match are 1. Floor plan, 2, Tow vehicle cargo capacity and 3. Cost. All three have to be right.

1. Floor plan has to be right because it remains when all else is resolved.
2. Tow vehicle cargo capacity limits the allowable tongue weight. It is not how much you can pull but how much you can carry. There is a sticker on the door jamb that tell you the maximum cargo weight.
3. Cost must not be an undo burden. RV's have miserable resale value.

After a few RV shows, we decided on what we wanted, then we rented a similar unit for a week or so. We ended up buying a 3 year old trailer at about 1/2 its new price.

Remember, trailer are built to a market price point. Basically you get what you pay for. All brand have their admirers and distractors

Good luck,
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
We have and most days love our Rockwood Minilite 2504S. It is around 25’, was two single bunks for the kids and a Murphy bed. Love the Murphy bed as it lets us have so much in a small trailer. It is totally different then setting a table up to sleep on. It can be converted from couch to sleeping In About 20 seconds with one. In the morning you just put the pillows on the bedside tables, pull the straps over top blankets and sheet and all and lift. It is a short queen, and a full size queen will not fit, but any short queen will. We have enough open floor space that we could have the play pen set up for our newborn. Bunks make great storage when the kids are still to small to sleeep on them. We spent 23 nights in it In July.

Things we dislike are the small tank sizes and the U dinette. We only get about three days capacity on the tanks.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
All good points that others have suggested.

Something you may want to consider is something similar to what I have. I have a 2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS, it has a rear bed slide as well as a side slide and bunks across the front. 26 feet, right around 6000lbs fully loaded for camping. 50 gallon fresh/grey/black tanks. Got the trailer when kids were coming along, so the bunks worked good for them. Kids no longer coming along, so the bunks are now a good storage space, with things out of the way. Only thing I would change about my trailer is the rear slide bed. If I had to do it again, I'd look for the same thing, only with the bed shifted 90 degrees. Instead of side-by-side sideways, I'd prefer a bed with the head at the back/window wall. Easier to get in/out, and easier to make up the bed.

When I got it, I was towing it with a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. It was a capable tow vehicle, but quickly ran out of power towing in the Colorado mountains. It would go, just not very fast, on some steep uphills and downhills.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would try to keep the weight closer to the 5,000 range than 7,000. Your current TV may be able to pull its max load, but doing so well would be something I'd consider. There are longer trailers (even with bunks) that don't weigh a ton. We love our 32' bunkhouse. I know people complain about the extra light campers but we've been very happy with it. With a dry weight of over 4,500 it's been great. I can tell you that on our last trip we hit some higher elevations and had a couple of rather long and tall grades and our 5.7 HEMI was capable but not fast (then again we had all six of us in cab). Here's a pic of our rig:

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Active Duty,(thanks for your service), young family, dog? I'd say look for a good condition, quality used travel trailer. Try not to fall for the fancy dressings, and an affordable payment that will last "forever". Look for a good frame, construction, fixtures.

If you find yourself near Houston, Texas, visit PPL Motorhomes, and spend a couple hours touring the consignment lot. More variety, and choices than you can shake a stick at. A floorplan that works for you is important, but quickly becomes less important if the trailer isn't well built, or the cost of ownership becomes a millstone around your neck.

Look for a used Northwood Nash, Winnebago Minnie, or Sunnybrook, here's an example of a reasonable quality brand/model:
20152 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S

Notice how quickly these things depreciate? 🙂

Edit: Hey, here's a great example. Better construction in this trailer than many new models. It may look a little dated inside, but for the savings, you could easily update fabrics and interior. Kinda small, but I'd take quality first, if the size was acceptable.
2006 Northwood Nash 19B

Here's a walk through of a 2009 model:
2009 Nash 19B video

Another example (Arizona) Lots of "snow bird" trailers here.
Northwood Nash 23D
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Imagine Series from Grand Design. Grand Design is one of the few companies that will certify their products for full time living without voiding the warranty. If you are going to be living in it, consider the TV placement. You want to be able to sit across from it - not look at it from an angle or across the room in a corner. Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bigbeartr57
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I can't comment on a specific brand. When buying used, condition is more important than the make.

I do know that setting up or taking down a dinette or sofa as a bed gets real old, real quick. I'm guessing a murphy bed will be about the same.

Something with bunk beds would be my choice. But, I don't know if you can find something in your size range equipped with bunks.

Look at lots of TT's, new and used, before you make your decision.
And, when you find something you like, make sure everything is fixed and working to your standards BEFORE you sign any papers or give the seller any money.
Don't listen to a sales person who tells you to sign the papers, take the TT home and bring it back later for repairs or adjustments.

Take your time and don't be in a hurry to buy.
Enjoy your travels.

Do you mean bunk beds in addition to a queen, or instead of a queen? I've seen a few "bunk house" models all the way down to the 22'ish range. We are a little torn on the bunk beds, but are definitely considering it. Would be excellent storage area in lieu of people to sleep in them.

Bigbeartr57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the advice! I also like what I'm hearing. I was already thinking the 25' max limit, and I prefer the used option that many recommended (but I'm not the only one involved in the decision). I already feel more confident in our hunt!