cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 1500 or similar

rbadger28
Explorer
Explorer
Own a Ram 1500 (which can be flat towed), but I am guessing it weighs 5500 pound and my rig is Winnebago brave rated to tow 5000.

Anyone with similar ford chassis class A pulling a ram 1500 or similar truck?
4 REPLIES 4

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Box 4X4 behind our coach (see sig.) over Marias Pass (the Continental Divide, U.S. Highway 2) and back, no problems.
The only thing I did about the weight was get a Roadmaster Stowmaster 6000 lb. towbar instead of the 5K towbar I had been using for Jeeps.
Now that I have a diesel truck, I went back to a Jeep for towing, using the lighter towbar; an inexpensive fixed-arm adjustable width unit.
It works for me.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I think your guess for weight might be a bit high. I second the idea of taking it down and getting an accurate weight. You will definitely feel it behind you but I think you can safely do exactly what you want.

Not a Winnebago brave but my old DP MH has towed my 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy Silverado with a Polaris RZR in the bed for a lot of safe miles and I would imagine the tow ratings of my MH are probable real close to the ratings of your MH.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
rbadger28 wrote:
Own a Ram 1500 (which can be flat towed), but I am guessing it weighs 5500 pound and my rig is Winnebago brave rated to tow 5000.

Anyone with similar ford chassis class A pulling a ram 1500 or similar truck?

"A recipe for disaster", not hardly. Folks tow things that are somewhat past the weight limit every hour of every day of every year. If you're concerned, get a heavier duty hitch. The smart thing to do would be to fill that pickup with a full tank of fuel and go GET IT WEIGHED! This way, you'll know EXACTLY what it weighs and, whether or not to move forward with your idea.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Y-Guy
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

You either need a bigger motorhome that is rated for a heavier dingy/trailer or a smaller dingy. Remember it's not just you on the road.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon