cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming FOB failed HELP or Idea

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have a class C on a 2014 Ford E450. I’m trying to program another fob. Instructions in owners manual say to cycle key on and off 8 times and end in the on position then push any button on the fob but it’s not working and the original fob still working so nothing happens. I need ideas. I just bought the coach but only has one set of keys so I’m trying to make up a second set. The food is a 3 button fob. This unit doesn’t have the type of fob with the key built in it. The key is totally separate.
22 REPLIES 22

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I think you’re correct.
Do the fobs have code numbers on the back for various frequencie?

I do not remember. I do not think so, I think the FCC sets the fequencies and that is part of the model number. There is a ROM chip in the car's moduel and the fob, they must have the same OS programmed in the chips.

Think of it like a mouse and dongal, they are different between a makers mice but they must be matched to one another.

In my family we have a mustang and explorer that use the same fobs, a f150 that is different and a second explorer that is totally keyless. They don't cross match, yet they may be the same frequency..
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you have the door open?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, here is the problem, after cycling the key on and off the door locks don’t activate to confirm the I can now push any button to program the fob. No door lock cycle after turning key on and off. Next I’m taking it to the dealer.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe this will help.

Clicky

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I think I remember something about only being able to add a new one only when there are two working already. If one goes bad it won’t let you add a new one.
I may be wrong but a locksmith that specializes in cars will do it and it won’t cost an arm or a leg but he might not want to mess with a third party fob.

okiejoe wrote:
Big Katuna
I only have one fob, the dealership lost the 2nd set and it was a consignment unit so owners have no keys. They gave both sets to dealership .

The mere fact that the fob is not present or is lost does not matter, the computer still thinks two fobs are programmed to it.

Using the dealer programming module they probably de-program BOTH of the currently programmed fobs (the one you have and the one that is lost) and then re-program the two you have.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you’re correct.
Do the fobs have code numbers on the back for various frequencie?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
okiejoe wrote:
Big Katuna
I only have one fob, the dealership lost the 2nd set and it was a consignment unit so owners have no keys. They gave both sets to dealership .

I’m pretty sure that’s the problem. You need to go to a locksmith or a dealer to add a second fob. After that you can add a third

Needing two is for the chipped keys not for remote keyless entry fobs.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
okiejoe wrote:
Big Katuna

I’m pretty sure that’s the problem. You need to go to a locksmith or a dealer to add a second fob. After that you can add a third

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
If you have done the procedure correctly, the door lock will activate on the 8th time you turn it to on. Just a note, my F150, my DW's Explorer and DGD's Mustang all activate on five cycles. Second note if the lock activates, the current code in the original fob will be erased and need to be reprogranmmed.

You must go from the off position to the on position, not from accessory to start or any variation. Door lock possition and door open or closed nor brake on or off has any effect that I know of.

Use the fob, open door, insert key, turn fron lock to ignition on and then repete 7 more times. If that doesn't work try more cycles. The lock has to cycle and the code will be sent out and the fobs will have to be activated.

Any length of time mentioned is critical.

All numbers on the back of the fobs must match. This is absolutely essential.

If it doesn't work try a qualified tech or locksmith.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Or take it to a locksmith that does cars.

Much cheaper than a dealer !

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
You have to have two working keys to add another key or you have to take it to a dealer to reprogram the truck computer. Had to do it that way with the few keys I had made.

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Old Guy
The fob,s are good. After cycling the key on & off 8 times and ending the eight time in the on position the locks should cycle but they don’t so apparently something isn’t working.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
okiejoe wrote:
Old guy
Went out and tried your suggestion, didn’t work

is the fob identical to the old one? I will ask if there is a battery in the new fob and is the battery a good battery? sometimes the batteries are shot when you get them. I ordered a set from amazon and they didn't work. sent them back and ordered another set from another company on amazon and they worked

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna