cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

99 Dutch Star 35' good or bad

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 99 Dutch Star 35' coach that looks very nice from the pictures. They are way over price according to NADA but it looks really good from pictures. The guy says it is as new condition always garaged. How much over NADA should one spend on a coach in exceptional condition? This from the add.

1999 35' Class A Motorhome, Dutch Star by Newmar, Model 3565 $46, 500.00
8.3-liter Cummins Diesel on a Spartan Chassis
3060 Series Allison automatic transmission, 62,000 original miles, second owner
7500 KW Onan Diesel Generator
Custom ordered paint by precision RV when coach manufactured, according to owner specs
Invis-shield front protector
Driver door
Rear back up camera
HWH Automatic Leveling Jacks
Dining table w/four chairs
Microwave/convection oven
Fantastic Fan with Rain Sensor in kitchen
Driver side slide; kitchen and sofa sleeper living room with slide out cover
Passenger side awning
Tinted, safety glass windows
Satellite dish
Front and rear TV's
DVD & CD players
Split bath with shower skylight
Day & Night Shades
Rear Queen bed
Alcoa aluminum wheels
Six new Michelin Tires
Docking lights
Security lights
One piece Rubber Roof with two heat pump air conditioners
Forced Air Furnace
Heated basement storage compartments
Two new 12 volt start batteries and four new 6 volt coach batteries
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
21 REPLIES 21

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I sent him an email this morning that I thought he was about 10K over true value and if he is interested in re-evaluating the worth I would come look. I have not heard back from him. I am not going to waist my time and try and low ball him I just think we are too far apart on price it is still listed on CL. I am a cash buyer but I won't over pay because if I decide to sell it I don't want to lose a bunch of money. Banks won't finance that much on an old MH and most buyers need financing that really sets the price as far as I am concerned.

I am still looking every day on RV trader and CL.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a friend that full times in a 1998 38 ft Dutch Star. It is a very nice MH, went to Alaska with him in 2006. The two AC's cool fine and both have heat pumps. His inverter just went and it will be replaced next week. Roof is original and all seams are covered with Eternabond tape and has never leaked. Domectic refer was replaced several years ago with another Domectic. He averages 8.5 mpg. If the MH is in good shape and everything works I would pay a little over Nada. Print the Nada prices and show it to the person selling the MH he is probably not aware of what the MH is worth if it is an estate sale.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Don't confuse maintenance items with updates. This is a 19 year old coach and it should have had batteries and tires replaced at least twice. This is not something that would increase the value of the RV but rather be things that would not decrease its value.
Satellite dish? That means nothing as there are many versions and some are completely worthless.
Only 2 A/C units? That sounds bad on a 36' coach if you plan to travel anywhere other than AK during late Spring to early Fall.
Front and Rear TV's? For a '99, that should read updated flat screen digital TV's with the sizes of each. If they are still the old analog TV's, you are going to have to spend some money to make watching any kind of TV possible.
I don't see an inverter listed and that's a requirement (IMHO) for anyone hoping to do anything other than moving from one RV resort to another.

1. 1999 to almost 2003. DSDP, the Inverter was an option and back then very few RV'ers optioned the Inverter.
2. 2 AC units on a NEWMAR are not a concern. Newmar had a VERY GOOD ceiling and ducting system back then. 40 foot DSDP with 2 HP's will freeze you out in Texas 100 degree heat. This is a 35 foot unit. So, AC capacity is not a concern.
3. Full paint was NOT an option back then, so as it is listed a independent shop painted the RV which does increase its value over the standard graphic exterior.
4.TV's are a concern
5. If it has the original KVH Sat dome, then it is a boat anchor and not worth factoring in the price. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gundog wrote:
mike brez wrote:
One piece rubber roof :h

What is the best roof type to look for?

I hope he is being sarcastic. No such thing as a 2 piece rubber roof. Which I think he is talking about. Doug

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Agree.... it's way overpriced.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
For that much money, I would buy something newer even if it has to be quite a bit smaller.

Bruce_Brown
wallynm wrote:
Suggest it is a britetec roof. It is one piece except where they cut holes to put in skylights and AC units.

IMHO it is over priced by several thousand $$$.

Gundog wrote:
mike brez wrote:

The 99 Dutch Stars had a rubber roof, they went to BriteTec in 2000.

As for what's the best, I'm not a big fan of a true EPDM rubber roof. I AM a big fan of BriteTec.

A lot of people like a fiberglass roof. I agree a quality fiberglass roof is a good choice, but some who advertise as "fiberglass" isn't what I'd call quality.

Bottom line, normally a quality unit will have a quality roof.

In the case of the OP, it may be in good shape, but unless it's been changed I believe it's still rubber.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Suggest it is a britetec roof. It is one piece except where they cut holes to put in skylights and AC units.

Gundog wrote:
mike brez wrote:

I know it is overpriced but what type roof would be the best to look for on another Motorhome? I have seen some advertise aluminum & fiberglass roofs on some models. I am trying to figure out what to look for.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer

Gundog wrote:
mike brez wrote:

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
At least he spelled Cummins correctly :B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Pull up RV Trader.com and start searching there. Don't be afraid to take a trip to go see one if it seems to be what you want.... You will save a lot of money. Some gas and a motel for a night can be small change when you are talking RV prices. A 99 DutchStar probably won't be a problem but older coaches that look dated will attract the attention of some parks that have a 10 year old rule. Not many do but you are sure to come across one when you've been driving all day and it's the only park for many miles.....

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
My 2 big questions irregardless of price would be stored inside or outside and mileage.

He said both this owner and original owner always stored it inside. Milage is advertised as 62K.

Bruce_Brown
Too bad you're not closer, locally there is a nice one for $20k.

No matter how nice that one is, I'd say it was over priced - and I'm a Newmar fan.

Great coach, just over priced.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote: