cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caulking the outside

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
This week I'll be recaulking some of the outside of our 5er. Which type of caulk is the best to use?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
15 REPLIES 15

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Splashers3 wrote:
An Amish Professional that works in the industry told me to use the clear GEOCEL 2300 MHRV....and it comes out of the tube easy.

He also recommended mineral spirits to clean the spot off, thoroughly drying before apply new caulk. After caulking, apply some mineral spirits to get the professional look by using a slightly round plastic scraping tool for edges.

It works very well.

I used the clear. It was horrible peeled off like Silicone. Read up on it. Its the only product available for use in California. I found the problem. Went back to black and white California non complient sealant.

Not sure how you prepped, but my Northwood 5th wheel had clear 2300 MHRV from the factory on front cap sides and underneath. I just had to remove all the caulk to get it painted. It never flaked. I wished it had. ๐Ÿ˜ž 5er's 5 years old with the original 2300 on it. I re-applied 2300 since it held up that long. Bought too much so I decided to do the exterior this week.

Sorry. I used the Geocell Proflex in clear...not the Geocell 2300.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Splashers3 wrote:
An Amish Professional that works in the industry told me to use the clear GEOCEL 2300 MHRV....and it comes out of the tube easy.

He also recommended mineral spirits to clean the spot off, thoroughly drying before apply new caulk. After caulking, apply some mineral spirits to get the professional look by using a slightly round plastic scraping tool for edges.

It works very well.

I used the clear. It was horrible peeled off like Silicone. Read up on it. Its the only product available for use in California. I found the problem. Went back to black and white California non complient sealant.

Not sure how you prepped, but my Northwood 5th wheel had clear 2300 MHRV from the factory on front cap sides and underneath. I just had to remove all the caulk to get it painted. It never flaked. I wished it had. ๐Ÿ˜ž 5er's 5 years old with the original 2300 on it. I re-applied 2300 since it held up that long. Bought too much so I decided to do the exterior this week.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:

It works very well.

2015 Ram 3500 Dually

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:

Thanks for that info. I'll try a tube of that the next time I need to caulk my camper.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
That Geocel Pro Flex is really hard to find. I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and I had to order it online; no store had it in stock that I could find. Thanks for your help.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
I used home depot- Rapid Set non-sag hybrid silane polyether easy flow in white.. it was cheap, worked great, and was easy to use ...

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer

It works very well.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
That video was called... (mrrvtech.com... how to properly silicone your rv *4min13sec)
It shows the dawn dishwashing liquid trick and by using that method mine came out looking like a professional did it...

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
I resealed the entire rv and re sealed the roof...I will say... on the visible seems... if you use the dawn dishwashing liquid trick ...it actually works and makes it look like a professional resealed it...

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with Geocell Proflex which in my experience is the best, you better have strong hands or an electric caulking gun. That stuff is very difficult to get out of the tube unless you have a large part of the tip cut off. Cutting off just a small portion of the tip trying to get a narrow bead is an exercise in futility. I did that with the first tube I bought and I squeezed so hard trying to get the caulk to come out that I bent the caulking gun handle (for those of you wondering..did he puncture the foil on the tube..Yes I did. Not my first rodeo)Also, plan on throwing away what you don't use. It's expensive but unless you plan on continuing the next day, forget it. That stuff left in the tip cures and makes the rest of the caulk useless unless you want to slice open the tube and glob it on somewhere. Then it would work fine.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Removing all the old caulk first and using masking tape on the outside of the bead of caulk will assure you of a nice looking job

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Geocell Proflex for everything but the roof. You got to remove old silicone 1st
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to be on your roof, it will be a good time to apply Eternabond to the seams and edges.
Just a thought.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor has two formulas. One for roofs and another for vertical surfaces. Others like Proflex. I was never able to get it to stick.