cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denver to Eugene Oregon-routing question

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Okay all you road warriors, I need some help with my route heading from Denver to Eugene OR. It the "TIME" of the year I'm most curious about and WEATHER.
We'll be leaving out of Shawnee Oklahoma Sept 25th and well be traveling non-stop until we reach our destination. We'll be on I-80 to I-84 and what can I expect the weather to be on our route. Is it SNOWING that time of year?

I thank all of you in advance for your thoughts.
12 REPLIES 12

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
80 to winnemucca 95 north to 145 west across bottom of oregon to k falls 97 north to 58 to eugene.this route is not for everybody as it is desolate and sparsely populated but is an easy and beautiful drive. fill you tank in winnemucca as not much fuel till you reach lakeview.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
teeznu wrote:
Okay all you road warriors, I need some help with my route heading from Denver to Eugene OR. It the "TIME" of the year I'm most curious about and WEATHER.
We'll be leaving out of Shawnee Oklahoma Sept 25th and well be traveling non-stop until we reach our destination. We'll be on I-80 to I-84 and what can I expect the weather to be on our route. Is it SNOWING that time of year?

I thank all of you in advance for your thoughts.

Just for clarification, since you mentioned I-80, that's about 100 miles north of Denver. Perhaps Cheyenne to Eugene? Unless you'll be coming up I-25 from points south to Denver, then on to I-80? If so, then take the US 287 route from Fort Collins to Laramie and bypass Cheyenne altogether.

I-80 across Wyoming should not be a problem in late September. However, the weather can be very changeable in Wyoming, so keeping an eye on it is a good idea. The highest point on I-80 will be between Cheyenne and Laramie, where it tops out at ~9600 feet. It's a gradual up hill to that point from Cheyenne, and there's a goodly downhill into Laramie. Just drop down a gear or two and it's fine going down.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I realize other posters are Oregon natives, while I've just visited, but regarding routes across the Cascades:

OR 126 will be the most direct route to Eugene.

OR 22 goes the Salem; it's a bit straighter and easier, but has the I5 jaunt back south.

US 20 is the middle to Albany is the twisty one. (don't even think of OR 242).

OR58 (via 97 and the cutoff at Crescent) is also a good choice. The climb to the pass from the east is almost unnoticeable. GMaps estimates about the same time as Sisters and 126.

Google Maps, Bend to Eugene, is the best tool for comparing the Cascade alternatives.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Most likely weather will NOT be an issue in September. However I find interesting all the various routes that have been suggested.....some not so good for RVers. The absolute most efficient route for you is to get on US 20 off I84 in Ontario and continue on 20 to west of Sisters into the Cascades where you can get on 126 which will take you nicely into Eugene, your destination. All nice two lane highways.

The reason I did not suggest 126 is it can be somewhat slow and twisty part of the way. Beautiful drive, but.......

126 slow and twisty??? Not in my experience. On the other hand the route you suggested continuing on to Salem on 20 IS very windy and twisty on the west side of the Cascades. I have driven 126 into Eugene many times with trailers and Class A motorhomes..... not a problem at all......and it is the fastest route to get to Eugene.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Most likely weather will NOT be an issue in September. However I find interesting all the various routes that have been suggested.....some not so good for RVers. The absolute most efficient route for you is to get on US 20 off I84 in Ontario and continue on 20 to west of Sisters into the Cascades where you can get on 126 which will take you nicely into Eugene, your destination. All nice two lane highways.

The reason I did not suggest 126 is it can be somewhat slow and twisty part of the way. Beautiful drive, but.......

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I've never gone further west on I-80 than Rock Springs, but you should be fine with weather, other than the wind. But that happens any time of year.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on avoiding Portland, I5 and I205 can both move at crawl speeds. If they are moving at all. I84 winds through the gorge can be a memorable experience, but doable.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chances are you will have no problems at all. However snow is possible by then. I remember a Labor Day weekend at Crater Lake in the snow around Sept. 3.

Y-Guy
You shouldn't run into any snow, but do keep an eye on the weather. For Oregon roads check out tripcheck.org

I agree with donn0128 cutting across Oregon is still a nice drive but it's not interstate, but very scenic. I am not sure I would take 97 down to 58 from a time perspective.

If you stay on Interstates the whole way do be aware of the what's called Deadman Pass or Cabbage Hill at milepost 229, watch your speed.

Through Portland take I205 from I84 to I5.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
In Sept should be no problem. Eugene is about two hours south on I5 from Portland, so to save time and miles at Ontario,OR take US20 to Bend, and on to I5 at Salem. From there its about an hour to Eugene. Or as an alternative take 97 south and take 58 west. That will drop you just south of Eugene.

x2. I-84 can be a zoo in Portland. Plus the winds out on I-84 near the Gorge can make you towing very interesting. There's a reason you see loads of people windsurfing on the river.
Another alternative is to take 84 to Ontario, then 20 to Vale (26) and take 26 to Prineville, then take 126 out of Prineville to Sisters and then 126 towards Eugene. That takes you the the east side of Eugene.
The drive from Salem to Eugene is about as boring as it gets. Same with 84 to Portland.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
In Sept should be no problem. Eugene is about two hours south on I5 from Portland, so to save time and miles at Ontario,OR take US20 to Bend, and on to I5 at Salem. From there its about an hour to Eugene. Or as an alternative take 97 south and take 58 west. That will drop you just south of Eugene.