Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: My 2018 F150 Towing Experience
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My 2018 F150 Towing Experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
manley

Wichita Falls, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A long talk with Aaron at Hensley Mfg. says to "check your set up, particularly the strut bars." He said the spring bars are NOT the problem, that it is all in the strut. I cannot absolutely rule out that the struts were not tight, as I had just dropped the hitch to do the annual "lubing of the ball" (that just sounds kinda dirty, huh?).

Adding to my frustration, and not disclosed in the original post is the fact that one of the trailer frame brackets had actually broken as we pulled into the campground in Shreveport. Thus, I took the Hensley hitch off and bought a 2nd-hand WDH from a campground resident. Because I had removed the Hensley and installed the Husky to limp home, I cannot unequivocally state that Aaron's recommendation to tighten the struts just might have solved the problem.

I had chalked up the problems to having too much weight transferred to the front axle, which resulted in excess sway (and the broken frame bracket). Aaron absolutely assured me that was not the problem and that the F150 should be able to handle the load if set up correctly. He also said that metal fatigue (and hitch age), combined with the horrible Louisiana interstates, as well as a weaker steel used in earlier frame brackets, was the reason for the broken bracket. He also encouraged me to not give up on the truck but to continue tweaking the setup and to try it again.
[emoticon]

If none of the above makes sense, it's because of the complexity of the Hensley set up. There are strut bars that are designed to "lock out" sway, and weight distribution bars that are designed to transfer weight (just as in a normal WDH hitch). What actually broke on my hitch was the pin on which the spring bar jack mounts to the frame bracket. See below:
[image]

2018 F150 XLT FX4 SCREW Ecoboost 3.5L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of what everyone is saying, you simply cannot turn an ear of corn into a turnip. Adjust, get new tires, different suspension, even put on sonar if you want, it's still an F150. It will never be anything more.

You have 2 things going against you.

1. Truck too small and trailer too big. (tail wag the dog, that will never change).

2. No matter what you do to your truck, you have now developed a physiological and mental distrust for the truck-trailer combination. You will never overcome that distrust and have complete confidence in your equipment, even by doing your best to compensate altering the truck. Once the child has been bitten by the dog, he's always and forever Leary of dogs.

Solution? You more than likely will continue using your current rig combination and more than likely, 10 minutes before "take off" you'll be making a mad dash to the bathroom for a good sit-down where your nerves will do their finest on your physically. But, you'll continue with no changes, or the least evasive changes possible, until a year from now you will either quite towing the trailer completely, or break down and swap for a heftier truck.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is.

I wish you good luck! And do hope your nerves have more stamina than mine do!

Maury82

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

manley wrote:

Maury82 wrote:

manley wrote:

Maury82 wrote:

manley wrote:

kerrlakeRoo wrote:

Was the problem at all speeds? Or just above a certain point? Texas with its open areas and high speed limits can place some additional issues on drivers of light rigs.

I typically limit my tow speeds to 62 MPH. The crosswinds were a problem at anything above about 45. It also occurred not just in TX, but in MS & LA as well.

45mph!!

Don't like being on the road with weaving big rigs when winds are gusting that high.

The big rigs were blowing by me, even in the crosswinds and rain. They weren't as affected as I was, obviously.

I have yet to drive my truck in winds that high without towing, but I definitely feel some good push in that type of wind while in my Accord. I see all kinds of non towing vehicles getting pushed around in winds that high, so it never dawned on me to try to tow a trailer in it.

To buy a truck so I can tow in such high wind was never in my plans, and I wouldn't have picked a light in the rump 1/2 ton Ford for that job.

I was under the impression that RVer just camp until better conditions comes about.

The winds weren't blowing that high. That's how slow I was limiting my speed to in order to avoid being blown off the road.

Oh wow, that is horrible!!

I can drive 70 plus mph before I get nervous and I can feel a slight change in sensation in my setup. I'm not swaying, but I think there is more buffering going on, but I'm not sure if things are starting to get unsettled, or its just me not use to the movements of the trailer.

I have no plans traveling 70mph, because even if I could, the gas mileage would be worse. I almost passed out the first time I filled up $$$$.

I'm on the side that something is awry with your hitch setup.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting...but you are in the vast MINORITY...

It is like trying to explain sex to a virgin...when it comes to half ton vs higher class TV's...

Even at those low cross wind speeds...everything to do with 'ride quality' reduces the TV's ability to manhandle a Mr Murphy moment...

Again, thank you for posting this...but as you noticed...you n I are in the minority

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maury82
Before u continue boasting about your new truck we need to clarify it's a $50K special ordered HDPP. It's not your typical F150. We need to make this clear before other newbies reading this get the wrong impression.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Maury82

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Regardless of what everyone is saying, you simply cannot turn an ear of corn into a turnip. Adjust, get new tires, different suspension, even put on sonar if you want, it's still an F150. It will never be anything more.

You have 2 things going against you.

1. Truck too small and trailer too big. (tail wag the dog, that will never change).

2. No matter what you do to your truck, you have now developed a physiological and mental distrust for the truck-trailer combination. You will never overcome that distrust and have complete confidence in your equipment, even by doing your best to compensate altering the truck. Once the child has been bitten by the dog, he's always and forever Leary of dogs.

Solution? You more than likely will continue using your current rig combination and more than likely, 10 minutes before "take off" you'll be making a mad dash to the bathroom for a good sit-down where your nerves will do their finest on your physically. But, you'll continue with no changes, or the least evasive changes possible, until a year from now you will either quite towing the trailer completely, or break down and swap for a heftier truck.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is.

I wish you good luck! And do hope your nerves have more stamina than mine do!

Well, my 1/2 ton weigh a tad over 5,600lbs, my trailer is longer, 8,400lbs dry (CAT scaled at 9,040lbs close to camping weight), my dry trailer tongue is 1,075lbs, and approximately 90 additional pounds with the second A/C in the bedroom.

I'm looking forward to my trip from Western Ohio to Va. Beach, Va.

There seems to be physical and tangible issues with his setup, so until he resolves that, as a newbie, there is nothing to learn from his situation, or for me to gain regarding the extreme handling problems that says his truck is the cause.

As a rookie towing heavy, there is no information, or lesson here for me to learn from.

* This post was edited 08/14/18 12:24pm by Maury82 *

Maury82

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Maury82
Before u continue boasting about your new truck we need to clarify it's a $50K special ordered HDPP. It's not your typical F150. We need to make this clear before other newbies reading this get the wrong impression.

$45,000 + tax and title...special ordeted XLT, spray in bedliner, 6.5 box, 301 package, flow through console, 4x4, remote start, 40p watts inverter.

It only configured over $50,000, not what I paid.

The higher and facier the trim up the F-150 lineup, the less capable truck you get.

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a bummer I was in a similar situation being at the max of my 1500 and toughed it out for 5 years. If it wasn't for the ProPride hitch I bought as a last ditch effort I would of sold the trailer and got something smaller. After getting a 2500HD it was a dramatic improvement

996Pilot

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/18 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought too much truck for my RV ---- said nobody!!

2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/18 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

996Pilot wrote:

I bought too much truck for my RV ---- said nobody!!

Said the DRW fans.... LOL

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My 2018 F150 Towing Experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS