cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I swap GC2s out for Lifeline AGM?

wildwoodrver
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to swap out my 2 year old GC2 batteries (Interstate brand) for 2 six volt AGM Lifelines (220 Amp Hour bank). I dry camp several times a year for a few days and want to extend my electrical capacity. I donโ€™t have solar panels but will break up the dry camping with nights in a campground to recharge, and also run the generator a little.
I got great service out of a Lifeline AGM bank in a previous rig.

My rig is equipped with a โ€œsmartโ€ charging system.

Do you think it is worth $1,000 to make this upgrade?

Thanks
Continuing the journey in rig number SIX
2018 Leisure Travel Van - Unity Murphy Bed, Sprinter Chassis.
....without the well travelled and much loved cat Oโ€™Reilly (2005-2018)
43 REPLIES 43

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Batteries have characteristics and moods. Anything that costs as much as a good AGM keeps me situationally - aware.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The Bayite Hall effect ammeter on my dashboard is my most looked at gauge, then the digital voltmeters, with their voltage control dial right next to them.

Knowing the Amperage the batteries are accepting at absorption voltage is extremely enlightening, and more so the more one observes that amperage at from different states of charge.

Being able to change target voltage and watch amperage respond upto the maximum altnerator output for that RPM is also extremely enlightneing, but I can do the same with my meanwell, upto the 40 amps maximum.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Five or six hours at 14.4 otter doer. You can do simple math vs remaining capacity then add 130% more time, wake up in a lawn chair stumble over to the generator and press the "noiseless" button and go about your business.

Slosh batteries have their place. Forklift and other industrial batteries commonly have plates up to 300% the thickness of the thickest AGM battery. For hot climes electrolyte can be adjusted for tropical blend. Of course the bank amp hours has to see a gross increase via more batteries because of weakening of jar amp hours -- but the overall lifespan can see an amazing increase.

If you are satisfied with your battery then who can criticize? But like Einstein quipped "The definition of insanity is to do something exactly the same way over and over -- and expect different results"

Complaining about battery performance and lifespan then running out and buying yet another dollar store grade battery would fit that definition.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
landyacht318 wrote:
I do not miss flooded battery maintenance and much rather watch an ammeter to determine full charge, as opposed to a hydrometer

You said a mouthful there!

That especially applies when your ammeter is permanently mounted right on the dash so you can check/monitor what's happening whenever current is supposed to be going out of, or into, your RV batteries. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I can't use a battery over 9.5 inches tall without serious modifications and some sacrifices of storage space.

I love a battery which can gobble up huge alternator amperages without worry. I do not want a battery with a recommended 10 to 13% charge rate, or an AGM with a sub 33% charge rate.

Been hammering a Northstar AGM for 800+ deep cycles for approaching 5 years.
Been two years since I last saw the top of it.

Previous flooded marine 27s were always compromised further, by not watering them in time but they were also a huge PITA to fully charge.

I do not miss flooded battery maintenance and much rather watch an ammeter to determine full charge, as opposed to a hydrometer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hahaha I wonder (not) how much a 3300 amp hour 24 volt Lifeline battery replacement for my Rolls flooded batteries would cost. This isn't even a serious consideration...

In this one case I am sure the Rolls would outlast the Lifelines.

But checking electrolyte on wide-open 30" tall batteries is not in the same league as hassling with ensconced motorhome batteries. I have to lay down a foam pad when checking the batteries in Quicksilver or I get a rather acute case of the Kneezles.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got AGMs for the truck camper we had because they had to be inside and no flooded fumes allowed. Moved them to the MH we got later, same thing --inside--plus got another AGM to add to the bank. (Now at 450AH of AGMs)

All inside where also --this is big!-- they stay warm in the winter so they don't lose tons of AH in the cold as when outside. Win-win!

The batts go under a dinette seat along with other electrical stuff, and the opposite dinette seat covers the fresh water tank.

So add to the "reasons" list:
A. no fumes
B. keep warm inside= no capacity loss in cold outside temps.

Unfortunately that does nothing to help with their bad AH per dollar cost. ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll,

Probably my own fault. I ordered them from Camping World. They took 7 months to ship them to me. They were encrusted with dust.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had mine at least five years now with no issues. Swapped to the new batteries when replaced.
Sorry for your troubles. Really like mine so far. (knocks on wood)

So now it is transfer switches AND battery watering where we recommend the opposite. Just part of the adventure ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I had one with a pump. It broke repeatedly.

time2roll wrote:
I have to say I have not missed checking electrolyte levels since installing an auto fill system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to say I have not missed checking electrolyte levels since installing an auto fill system.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have to say I have not missed laying down in the snow to check electrolyte levels, since I changed to AGM.
Regards, Don

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would not go to AGM unless there was an issue with access for maintenance (Watering) or I had to mount them other than "This way up"

now for SOME uses. AGM has advantages. But for RV use. there is nearly never any advantage to them... EXCEPT TO THE SELLERS (MORE PROFIT).

This past spring I replaced my worn out G27 flooded with a G31 AGM and after doing so wondered why it took me so long to move up to the world of zero maintenance. :h Really doubt I'd ever go back to flooded because long after the cost differential is forgotten I'd still be enjoying all the advantages of AGM. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I would not go to AGM unless there was an issue with access for maintenance (Watering) or I had to mount them other than "This way up"

now for SOME uses. AGM has advantages. But for RV use. there is nearly never any advantage to them... EXCEPT TO THE SELLERS (MORE PROFIT).

Well .... like you say .... "Now for some uses."

AGM batteries charge faster using any type of 12V DC charging source due to their lower intrinsic resistance - which is based on simple electrical principles. So for those of us RV'ers who don't use solar for recharging, AGM batteries offer a charging speed advantage. For example when driving our alternator will completely recharge our 230 AH AGM battery bank from 50%-60% in 3-4 hours, and when camped our 650 watt portable generator will bring them up "nicely" (not fully) in around 5-6 hours on 1/2 gallon of gas.

By the way regarding solar, my BIL just ordered a high end four-season TT from Canada and he did not opt for the roof solar option. His reason - experiences from hail storms have taught him to not have something on the roof that can get shattered. He'll probably buy a Honda EU2200i for battery charging and air conditioning. Smart moves if one believes that U.S. weather may be changing to being more unpredictable.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C