cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wells Gray campground and hiking advice?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW is a waterfall fan, so off we go in September to Wells Gray. (Gary Haupt's photos of that area are very persuasive!) Hoping that the smoke from the wildfires will die down by then.

So here is the issue -- there are three campgrounds that appear to be suitable. Clearwater Lake and Falls Creek are right next to each other and next to a nice noisy river, and the park personnel assure me that there will be first come, first served spaces available after Labour Day till the end of the month. We are not sure exactly when we will arrive -- it depends on some family medical issues.

The problem is that both of those campgrounds are at the end of a long gravel road, while Pyramid Campground (well to the south) is on the paved road, and it appears to be nearer to some of the waterfalls in the park. But it does not look nearly as nice as the other two campgrounds near the river.

So that is my question -- based on your experiences at Wells Gray, which campground makes the most sense? We hope to spend about a week at Wells, mostly hiking to various waterfalls. I don't want to spend a lot of time every day "commuting" to trailheads, if possible. But we do like sitting near the trailer in the late afternoons, listening to flowing water.

In addition to your recommendations about the campgrounds, I would appreciate any thoughts about hiking. Thanks in advance!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
9 REPLIES 9

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Paul! If your tips on Wells Gray are as good as your tips on Peter Lougheed were, we're all set. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
We last visiting here on the way back from Jasper. With a full drive from Mt Robeson, Pyramid CG was a convenient first night (after a stop at the visitor center near the highway in Clearwater). According the parks website, this campground is open offseason.

We spent the next day gradually continuing north to Clearwater.

The next day we worked our way out, and spent the night in town with laundry and restaurant meal.

From Pyramid we hiked along the river to Dawson Falls.

We drove to Helmcken falls.

We walked around Ray Farm.

Osprey Falls is visible from Clearwater Lake CG. From there we hiked part of Dragon's Tongue. On an previous trip we also hiked Easter Bluffs.

Spahats Falls is close to town on the way in or out.

Those are the highlights along the Corridor.

Pyramid is a newer campground, so sites should be easy to use, but shade limited.

Clearwater is an older campground, and some of the sites may be challenge for a large rig. In Sept you'll have a choice of sites, but I don't recall many with backyard-views of the falls.

The main road turns gravel somewhat north of the Dawson/Helmcken Falls area.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary, the campgrounds are actually open till Sept 30, but reservations can't be made past the 23rd. But we will be long gone by then, I think.
About our trailer

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Depending when in September you are talking....as of Sept 23rd, all campgrounds are closed except Pyramid, which is open year round.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/wells_gry/

If you do have to use Pyramid..it is not a HUGE deal to commute.

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
Me again. Forgot to mention that British Columbia is in the midst of another disastrous fire season. Wells Grey may at any time be forced to close as a result of fires threatening the area. They did close and evacuate the park last summer for the same reason. Here are some links to follow for updates.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/wells_gry/

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status

Not sure how to make them clickable. When you access the second one go the the interactive fire map to observe where the fires are.

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Wells Grey several times. Our first choice for campground would be Clearwater Lake followed closely by Falls Creek. Haven't stayed at Pyramid though, but it didn't appeal as we had a boat which made being near the lake better. Several of the campsites in Clearwater Lake and Falls Creek are such that you can sit and look at the river. There is also a concession and boat tour company located near Clearwater Lake campground, though not sure when operations cease in Sept. No matter which campground you choose, you will probably have to drive to the waterfalls anyway.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Murray, thanks for posting that link! I'm hoping the mosquitoes are as quiet in September as they were in October . . . .
About our trailer

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Pyramid Campground worked out very well for me in October - I saw no reason to drive far into the park with the rig. You can see fall rainy-weather photos from that visit on my blog.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
it was 2009 when we went there. It was wonderful. Lots of spectacular water falls. We took a boat tour on the lake. Well worth while.
We took 720 photos while we were in the park. That says it all.

Ross
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired