cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leak Test Facility

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
My MH is an Itasca 30T, 2014 model. I have a leak that drips into the shower at the outside wall. The local mobile RV tech has checked and resealed all of the usual suspects. Still leaks, more so in heavy rain. The roof is crowned, so the leak has to be on the shower (passenger) side. Should be relatively easy to seal off the shower and do a leak test.

Winnies have a poor design at the roof/sidewall interface, and it is completely obscured by an awning rail over that seam. Can't see any evidence of separation along the rail and the upper side of that rail has had a caulk seam added.

I'm in Hiawassee, GA (near intersection of GA, NC, and TN). Looking for a facility that can do a test to identify the source. Hope to avoid a total roof replacement - the last resort.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS
14 REPLIES 14

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roof leaks in RVS are part of the landscape. I find it ridiculous that they can’t design and build a roof that doesn’t require so much maintenance. I have talked to tech after tech that says they all leak sooner than later.

If you don’t store it under cover; awning, barn, etc you’re crazy.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Found an RV shop with a SealTech machine in Cleveland, GA. Lots of bubbles around skylight and on other seams. Also a couple of clearance lights, a couple of compartments, and the entry door. Even though the entry door and compartments could not have been involved in the shower leak I had them sealed anyway. I still don't feel they found anything that would have allowed the amount of water I was seeing enter, but won't know until the next big rain.

Winnebago says the roof sealant must be checked every 6 months, and cleaned and replaced every two years. Pretty onerous requirement, especially as owners age beyond safely getting on the roof. The "semi Class A's" (these models are oriented to entry level and weekend use - compartment doors are like Class C rather than the full size doors on Class A's) like my 30T model have very flexible frames, which I'm certain adds to the likelihood that sealant will be popped loose. If I don't lock all my compartment doors they will pop open while driving.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
fortytwo wrote:
The roof is crowned, so the leak has to be on the shower (passenger) side.

No it doesn't. Water is a funny thing, especially when it is between two surfaces, like the sheathing and roof membrane or covering. I have seen a roof leak on a stick and bricks be on one corner of the house, and the water come through the cieling of the kitchen in the middle 40' away. RVs are the same.

Do you have factory maxxair vents/fans with the factory installed maxxair covers that attach to plastic eyes molded into the vent flange by chance?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
About 30 years ago a friend had a new Van that leaked in rear corner.
He took it to the dealer and they turned on the heater blower with everything closed and checked with water.
They found a pin hole in caulk in roof seam!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
In reality pretty easy to DIY. All you need is a large shop vac that blows, some cardboard and duct tape to seal the hose to an open window that you cardboard and tape up to seal it.

Turn on the vac to create a positive pressure and start going over the unit with a spritz bottle of soapy water and a grease pencil and mark all the spots that bubble. When don, apply suitable (and comnpatible caulk). pretty easy really. I do mine every year i the yard.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
They use a soapy mixture and watch for bubbles.

You could DIY with a big squirrel cage fan through a window. The Sealtech unit sucks air in from a roof vent. Then a guy on the roof starts spraying soapy water.

Not just the roof, every intrusion, windows, hatches, fridge vents...everywhere. If all you do is the roof, your rig is a potential rot rig.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They use a soapy mixture and watch for bubbles.

You could DIY with a big squirrel cage fan through a window. The Sealtech unit sucks air in from a roof vent. Then a guy on the roof starts spraying soapy water.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you were close ,and a little handy we,d box off the shower room, install a blower and buy some canned smoke , and try and find it, get it smoke tested ,or hire a different tech. but please don,t take it to CW.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sealtech website has locations.

If you go that route, make sure both parties agree on the deliverables.

I got it done at CW and they didn’t take any pictures or videos or mark the spot with a grease pencil. Just told me it leaked all over and gave me a quote for eight hours at $140/hr to “peel and seal” and 20 tubes f caulk.

I had one small leak that another dealer fixed for $100.

Do what the repair guys say. My shower leak was fixed with Eternabond.

Jq1953
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Winnie class c leaks, and has done so, off and on, since our first trip. The factory and various dealers have been of little use in stopping it permanently. I have spent about $3200 total since new for leak tests, then repairs. I have noticed other brands and I think the ones that the top overlaps the sides leak less.
This was our first Winnie. I purchased it because of owner's testimonials. Maybe I purchased the only "lemon". Irregardless, I may trade in the future but it won't be for another Winnie. Just my "two -cents" worth.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
look herewe took ours to RCI XL in Warner Robbins, GA last year. very satisfied with their work. Very through. No problems since they located our leak from the way the over the door awning was incorrectly installed.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
fortytwo wrote:
My MH is an Itasca 30T, 2014 model. I have a leak that drips into the shower at the outside wall. The local mobile RV tech has checked and resealed all of the usual suspects. Still leaks, more so in heavy rain. The roof is crowned, so the leak has to be on the shower (passenger) side. Should be relatively easy to seal off the shower and do a leak test.

Winnies have a poor design at the roof/sidewall interface, and it is completely obscured by an awning rail over that seam. Can't see any evidence of separation along the rail and the upper side of that rail has had a caulk seam added.

I'm in Hiawassee, GA (near intersection of GA, NC, and TN). Looking for a facility that can do a test to identify the source. Hope to avoid a total roof replacement - the last resort.

Well Sir,
That's your opinion which, is fine. But, not all "Winnes" leak. That roof to gutter connection has been done like that for decades at Winnebago. Some have reported issues but, by and large, there's a few hundred thousand of them running all over this country, trouble free. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT 330HP C-7, is leak free for 14 years old and 83K miles. But, I have found a couple of spots that were loose in that caulking/adhesive joint. I promptly dug all the old caulking/sealant out and, installed new. But, that was only a few feet on the front of each side. The rest of that joint, about 30' on each side, is still solid as could be.

I have two buddies that both have Meridians, one an '05 34' and the other, an '06 36' and, one sits outside forever and the other one, sits inside and, both have zero leaks.

You shouldn't have to come anywhere near replacing an entire roof. You have a leak in the shower area. I don't know how your tech is repairing or, trying to cut off the leak but, to do it correctly, every single bit of factory caulking/sealant has to be removed and the area/joint has to be almost surgically clean. Then, re-apply either Dicor self leveling sealant or, a sealant of your choice. And of course, a thorough inspection of the actual sky light is warranted to make sure there's no hairline cracks that are tough to see.

Keep us informed if you discover where your leak emanated from.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just for kicks I googled your town ,theres about six places in texas. that the test.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like a great,an smart thing to do, might google it and see what shows up.