cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Sway Bars

bob814u_and_juj
Explorer
Explorer
While going camping this past weekend we drove four hours with no difficulty to the campsite. While unhooking I realized that I hadn't tightened down the anti-sway bar like I usually do. On the way home I tightened it with much groaning from the camper on the travel home. There was high winds so a lot of swaying was felt. The question is: How tight should the anti-sway bar be tightened? As tight as possible or loosely?
5 REPLIES 5

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is exactly why I decided to go with an Equalizer. I have a relation who has a friction bar. He doesn't always put it on. He told me that he uses it when he "thinks he will need it." Wow, how do you know?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I haven't used one of those in 5 years now, but when I did, I tightened mine as tight as I could get it without standing on the crank handle (sort of say). And then I'd back off 1/4 turn. I never had problems. Yes, lots of groaning.

If you watch and understand the video, that exercise you did with the crank handle did exactly nothing. People have complained about this type of sway control for years but they never understood how they work or ever read the instructions.

You only need to tighten the handle enough to keep it from moving in use, the degree of tightness will not change the friction. The friction is controlled by the load put on the flat spring behind the friction material and that is done with the bolt. Read the decal next to the handle and bolt.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used one of those in 5 years now, but when I did, I tightened mine as tight as I could get it without standing on the crank handle (sort of say). And then I'd back off 1/4 turn. I never had problems. Yes, lots of groaning.

FYI, I still have my last one (new 5 years ago but used only a few times) when I switched to an Equal-i-zer 4 point system. I still have all the parts in my shed, including new small balls and the part that attaches to the trailer A-frame because I replaced my old one when it died. Then, just a couple weeks after that, switched hitch systems completely.

I'm still willing to give it anyone if you want to pick it up. In 5 years, no takers.

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Etrailer clicky
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
The adjustment is explained well in the etrailer link below. It took me a few tries to get it right.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-35976.html
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10