cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for RV park in OK or TX for 6 weeks this winter

pigdoc
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I would like to spend 4-6 weeks somewhere south of IA this winter. Looking at southern OK to DFW area. We'd like to find a waterfront park that is up to date and will take our 30' 5er and our two dogs. Any suggestions from readers here would be appreciated.
Pigdoc
18 REPLIES 18

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Just come down to the Rio Grande Valley, warmest winter weather in Texas and nearly 500 parks to choose from.
pawatt

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
You can also check out campgrounds around Lake Texoma.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
There is a couple of parks near Atlanta Texas located on lake Wright Pattman. I forgot the names but they were fairly large and nice sites set up for snowbirds

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stating in can still get cold even in southern Oklahoma. If you want to stay here though you might take a look at Lake Murray State Park near Ardmore, Ok. It's not too far on down to Dallas via I35. Ardmore is large enough to have most services you might want and some good restaurants. The park does have a 14 day stay limit but not sure how much they enforce it hurt the winter.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

pigdoc
Explorer
Explorer
The reason for starting our research in Dallas area is that Dallas is within a one day drive of Iowa. I do appreciate the constructive responses that have been offered, and plan on visiting some of the recommended locations. Thanks to all.
Pigdoc

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'll still take a Dallas winter over an Iowa winter. Dallas can't be any worse than Pennsylvania in the winter. ๐Ÿ™‚

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
X2

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
"Well isn't that pleasant"
But it's true. For warmer temps you need to be below I-10 or closer to it.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Would suggest Texas hill country, nice area to winter without going all the way South.

X2 on this. Hill Country Resort and Event Center is located about 6 miles north of Medina, 20 or so miles south of Kerrville on highway 16. One of the most scenic areas of the hill country imo. Management there is great, large wooded sites. They have a lot of winter Texans that return year after year. I kept a toy hauler there for several years.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go a couple hours south of Dallas towards the coast if you want a little warmer weather. I consider 60's and 70's good. Of course it will depend on what 6 weeks you want to go. We spent a nice winter in Rockport TX but even San Antonio and Austin were cold. Check out winter forecast for 2019 in about a month when it comes out. Could help you decide how far to go.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another 4-5 hours and you can be far enough south to at least be in the 50s or 60s. I'd shoot for somewhere along the I-10 corridor.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
gbopp wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
You're going to have a cold winter if you don't go any farther south than Dallas!

I'll take a Dallas winter over an Iowa winter anytime.
Not by much. North Texas and Oklahoma is very prone to either freezing rain or sleet. Getting an inch of ice is much worse than any blizzard Iowa will throw at you. Even if the temperatures cooperate and you avoid the ice, 40 degrees with wind and rain isn't a day at the beach. If the goal is to replace an Iowa winter with tropical heat, the OP's plan is likely to be a complete failure. Sorry.

Well isn't that pleasant

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Would suggest Texas hill country, nice area to winter without going all the way South.