cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-settable Circuit Breakers Wiring

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had trailers with a single circuit breaker located on the outside of the trailer near the battery before. They come in 30 and 50 amp. But on my 2017 Coleman 300tq Toy Hauler there are two circuit breakers wired together. The breaker on the right mumps to the breaker on the left and runs down to the junction box and ties into the other black wires.

What's the purpose of the second breaker?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
14 REPLIES 14

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I've been finding more items at Walmart

Often free shipping no prime membership

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
amazon. Yes something of reasonable quality and better function costs more.

CB185-30

CB185-50

It's not the money as much as the lack of availability. Why is it that nobody carries these things making Amazon the only option?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
amazon. Yes something of reasonable quality and better function costs more.

CB185-30

CB185-50

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to go with the Bussmann Hi Amp circuit breakers but after spending a day going to 4 auto parts stores, 2 RV stores, 1 truck supply store and Pratt Electric and NOBODY carries them. Napa would be able to get me two over night for $45 EACH! I can order them myself with two day for $25 each (Brick and Mortar Stores are so history!)
So, I have decided to stay with the automatic resetting breakers 1/3 the cost and easier to find....

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your right I knew that my fingers got ahead of my brain.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
The thought of it being for the slide never crossed my mind. (this is my first trailer with a slide) I tried to remove one of the wires from the relay on the right to test it but it was so tight or corroded that they would not come off. The lug actually came loose. So, since the slide doe's NOT work NOW I guess we know what the Relay is for. I am going to replace them with the Bussmann manual relays...

These are not relays, they're circuit breakers, most likely auto resetting.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thought of it being for the slide never crossed my mind. (this is my first trailer with a slide) I tried to remove one of the wires from the relay on the right to test it but it was so tight or corroded that they would not come off. The lug actually came loose. So, since the slide doe's NOT work NOW I guess we know what the Relay is for. I am going to replace them with the Bussmann manual relays...

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
1L243 wrote:
Breaker is there to protect the wire. Different load = different wire = different breaker.

Do yourself a favor and replace both with Bussmann Hi-Amp with same ratings.

Good point time 2 roll
I have seen that clicker type breaker go into melt down and take out wiring harnesses. When a fault happens the breaker heats a metal strip and the contact tips pop open. It cools and pops closed only to quickly heat up and pop open. Eventually the tips weld and wires go into melt down. Can't beat the manually resettable. They use them all over.... because they are cheap

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
1L243 wrote:
Breaker is there to protect the wire. Different load = different wire = different breaker.

Do yourself a favor and replace both with Bussmann Hi-Amp with same ratings.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My son FW looks just like that. One for landing gear one for slide. The big red wire at the top of the left breaker is the battery. It feeds the right breaker. You can check by removing one wire.

Safest way is to disconnect the battery then disconnect the bottom wire on the right breaker then reconnect the battery and try the slide.

Usually the two biggest draws are landing gear and slide and they run through breakers like that

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
On mine one powers the hydraulic slide pump. The other powers everything else.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I notice that the top wire is same for both breakers.

On the left hand breaker is the top or bottom wire the one that runs to the battery?

Likely one breaker is for something that is "Always on" (or operated by a momentary switch) like the jacks and the other is the MAIN. which can be "Turned off" by the salesman (Battery disconnect) Switch inside the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our Rockwood, the second breaker is for the slides.

The second breaker in your picture has a much thinner wire coming out of it, so maybe it's not for a slide (or maybe just the usual bad design on an RV). Do you have a slide?

Steve

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:

Probably a slide.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380