cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Northern IL to Youngstown, NY

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to 4 Mile Creek State Park in Youngstown NY from Northern IL to check out Niagara Falls. Pulling a 30 foot TT. Looks like we can travel 90 through Toledo, Cleveland to Buffalo; or take 94 to Kalamazoo, Lansing, Hamilton, Canada, Youngstown. We have our passports as we plan to see both sides of the falls. Anyone with thoughts on which route?
6 REPLIES 6

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wrenchnone wrote:
Thanks for replys! Is there anything I should know about doing the border cross?

Be courteous, answer the questions asked truthfully and fully (but succinctly), and generally you'll have no trouble if you aren't trying to do something nefarious. They may search your vehicle and RV, sometimes just because of random chance.

Know (or at least look up) the relevant laws, particularly with regard to weapons if you'll be bringing any of them. Handguns would not be permitted. Long guns, very generally speaking, can be brought into Canada but require proper documentation (in advance).

The requirements for other things (e.g. pets) are not hard to come by and not generally onerous.

Food prohibitions vary rather frequently, and I think it's best to expect you may have to turn over some veggies and not worry about it beyond that. Meat that isn't in the original packaging is also often troublesome.

You may have to pay duty on excess alcohol, but you can apply to get it refunded for unconsumed quantities when leaving Canada.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While you are waiting do a Google search for `crossing into Canada' or something like that. Having passports is a must.
For sure they are big on prohibiting alcohol from the States.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replys! Is there anything I should know about doing the border cross?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have done both routes from Chicago to the Falls. Prefer the Canadian route, even with the delays at the border crossings.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Ontario is my preference. Besides being faster, minimal tolls and flatter terrain.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I-94 doesn't go through Lansing, but that's not really pertinent for your question.

I would generally prefer going through Michigan and southern Ontario. For one thing, there's a lot less toll road to travel over, and I'm not a fan of toll roads. It's not a vast difference either way, though, to be honest; you exchange the "fun" of Buffalo and Cleveland and Toledo for the "fun" of Detroit and border crossings that may occasionally have delays and lines. Maybe go one way and come back the other?

If you have the time, the Henry Ford (aka the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village) outside of Detroit is well worth a couple of day's time.