cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Cart purchase??

thelehans
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! I have a golf cart question. We are in the processing of finding one to purchase but we want to be able to haul it on a platform type system on the back of our 5th wheel. Does anyone do this and if so, any recommendations or advice? I would really like a 6 seater but if that's not possible for towing, we would be ok with a regular sized 4 seater. Any advice appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Most 5er frames will not support the weight of a golf cart. Also, that much weight will seriously effect the weight distribution on the 5er. Think see-saw. Get a toyhauler of forget the golfcart.

Also many campgrounds prohibit the use of any unlicensed vehicle on the roads and/or the driver must be licensed and insured.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea, a swivel wheel is the best option. Or.... sell the Fiver, get a TT and put the golf cart in the bed of the truck. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I built a lift for my 800 lb Victory. I carry 400 lbs of ballast in the bedroom closet to offset some of the bike's weight. Adding a third axle would be much better. Few trailers have an adequate frame for this type of thing.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

thelehans
Explorer
Explorer
Great info, guys! I didn't even thing about the weight on the back (guess I thought a golf cart was light as a feather)... I'll look into some other options.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a swivel wheel for sale

https://springfield.craigslist.org/rvs/d/swivel-wheel-platform/6672366343.html
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Problem is that's a lot of weight and the center of gravity for the cart is a long way past the rear bumper...Assuming the frame could even support it:
- You are looking at around 600-800lbs to support and the center of gravity is going to be 3-4' behind the rear bumper...that's going to take a beefy support system.
- With say a 300lb support system, it's going to take around 900-1100lb off the pin...on many 5ers, that will leave you too light on the pin.

Options:
- Toy hauler: Simplest and best protection for cart but unless you go bigger, you lose interior space.
- Double Tow w/Standard utility trailer: Some states prohibit but pin weight is least affected (only about 12% of the weight of the cart/utility trailer is on the rear bumper of the 5er). Downside is you have to disconnect to back up.
- Swivel wheel trailer: Gray area if it's really considered a double tow. Around 30-40% of the weight of the cart/swivel wheel is on the rear bumper (but not 3-4' behind) so you lose a little pin weight but nothing close to hanging it off the back. Advantage is you can back up with the swivel wheel attached.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good question, I had planned to do the same until I found out that ANY MODIFICATION to my LIPPERT FRAME would negate any warranty which included a hitch! I found that out when our fiver's deck started to spring and lucky for us Cedar Creek went to bat for us and forced Lippert to do the repair at their shop (BTW that's on a 10 year old fiver, that's the kind of customer service Cedar Creek gave us!) it turns out that the frame can't handle the weight that far from the rear of the back wheels which in our case was over 12'. I saw another rockwood fiver with a full-dressed Harley on a lift deck but the guy had a third axel installed and extra steel to beef up the frame. The other option is to build/buy a swivel wheel deck which works good according to my research but your in violation of the double towing law as you would with a small trailer but I see other fiver owners hauling small boats and carts on small trailers to and from Florida all the time and never seen one pulled over in fact I seen several pass troopers on I75 without a problem! My solution was to simply buy a cart and leave it in our shed in Florida and make my life easier!

Red Green: "Vegetarian" is an old Indian word meaning "I don't hunt so good."
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you considering a lift platform, IMO a bad idea due to the strength of the frame, or towing a trailer with the cart on it? Some states have regulations against pulling a trailer behind a trailer or 5th wheel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"