cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running the fridge for 2 days off level?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t pull the rv Home to cool the fridge due to a neighbors waterline issue. At the storage lot my rv is sitting a full bubble off level, I was going to plug it in today and pick up the rv Friday morning to go camping. Can it is for a day and a half off level with the fridge on?
46 REPLIES 46

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I'm referring to those time where the unit can't be leveled to know if it is over or under three degrees of pitch. If we stop for a couple of hours somewhere and it doesn't appear to be level, I'd want to know how far off it is so I'd know if it's OK to leave the fridge on in that spot for a couple of hours as in more or less than three and six degrees. I use a carpenter's level. A plumber's level might be in my future for when we stop but aren't setting up to camp.

Simply get a level app for your smartphone.

You make it sound so simple! I have an old deactivated iPhone 4s that still runs like a champ. It has the compass app on it already as well as a marine nav app. Now it has another purpose added to the list. Thanks!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

I'm referring to those time where the unit can't be leveled to know if it is over or under three degrees of pitch. If we stop for a couple of hours somewhere and it doesn't appear to be level, I'd want to know how far off it is so I'd know if it's OK to leave the fridge on in that spot for a couple of hours as in more or less than three and six degrees. I use a carpenter's level. A plumber's level might be in my future for when we stop but aren't setting up to camp.

For those with iPhones, open your compass app and swipe to the side and you'll find a level that shows %.

I'm in the not overly worried camp about being a little off level for a stop along the way. But I also leave the fridge running on propane when I stop for diesel so I'm pretty reckless. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a small {about 2" square} bubble level that shows fore and aft as well as left and right and I just set it on the center console if I have any doubts {I usually do not}. Also have two stick on bubble levles at the rear of the coach, one on the rear and the other at the rear on the passenger side so I can see both without taking more than a step or two. Also have the free Bubble Level App on my i-Phone and it comes in handy for a lot of things.

:C

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Or just mark on one of those those stick on levels where the limits are.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it. No problems. Same trailer 12 seasons fridge still working great.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I turned on the fridge in our then new 2017 Jayco TT a couple of days before a trip like I always had and hitched up to the truck. Checked the next day and the fridge was off. I think the LED was flashing but not sure I'm remembering accurately. Comparing the trailer lines to the eve of the house, it was nose down a few inches. I unhitched and leveled the trailer. Fridge fired back up and continues to work ok. Makes me wonder if it has a built in safeguard.
This thread made me think maybe a plumber's level might be handy for those times when perfectly level isn't feasible.

You can get stick on levels that you can apply to the outside of the unit to 'level' it. I think they are a couple bucks each. Camco has them so does Amazon on line and even Wal Mart.

I have a good level. I was thinking more of a plumber's level to be able to tell how far out of level it is in situations like listed above. A plumber's level has two or three different pitches built in.

If you level the camper to the fridge, then attach outside levels, you will level the fridge every time you set up.
As a side note, when using a level, you should check to make sure it is reading level and plumb. A lot of them are off when new.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I turned on the fridge in our then new 2017 Jayco TT a couple of days before a trip like I always had and hitched up to the truck. Checked the next day and the fridge was off. I think the LED was flashing but not sure I'm remembering accurately. Comparing the trailer lines to the eve of the house, it was nose down a few inches. I unhitched and leveled the trailer. Fridge fired back up and continues to work ok. Makes me wonder if it has a built in safeguard.
This thread made me think maybe a plumber's level might be handy for those times when perfectly level isn't feasible.

You can get stick on levels that you can apply to the outside of the unit to 'level' it. I think they are a couple bucks each. Camco has them so does Amazon on line and even Wal Mart.

I have a good level. I was thinking more of a plumber's level to be able to tell how far out of level it is in situations like listed above. A plumber's level has two or three different pitches built in.

If you level the camper to the fridge, then attach outside levels, you will level the fridge every time you set up.
As a side note, when using a level, you should check to make sure it is reading level and plumb. A lot of them are off when new.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Of course simple answer is a duty cycle compressor fridge. Don't have to be concerned with a pressurized system. Can operate at peak efficient at up to 30 degrees out of level.

No temperature swings and not impacted by high ambient termps either. You set it for say 40 in the box, it stays at 40. What a concept.

This past weekend we camped with one of my nieces and her husband who last year bought a brand new Mercedes high roof Sprinter cargo van and converted it himself to a Class B camper, including a Dometic compressor cooler / freezer. It's a fairly large model that sits like a cooler so I'm thinking it's probably a Dometic CFX 65W or one similar. They've already done multiple trips with this rig, including a trip from here in Ontario out to British Columbia & back, and he's totally satisfied with the performance of this cooler which also has a freezer section. I did note that when he parked on his campsite he paid no attention to leveling the rig ... he literally parked and that was their "setup" ... sweet. :B

My 'Cool Box' Dometic resides on the backseat of my truck. It's fantastic. Nice thing about a compressor fridge is the initial cost of the unit is less than the cost of an ammonia fridge replacement cooling unit so if your cooling unit is shot due to blockage, it's cheaper to replace it with a drop in compressor fridge and you'll be happy. Keep in mind that a compressor (Secop) fridge and a residential compressor fridge are 2 entirely different animals. A compressor fridge works on the same principle (pressurized refrigerant) but the compressor is 'smart', that is, the compressor 'adjusts' itself to load, whereas a residential unit, the compressor is 'dumb' and just runs at 100% all the time. Secop units are very efficient and draw little power. Not so with a residential unit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Of course simple answer is a duty cycle compressor fridge. Don't have to be concerned with a pressurized system. Can operate at peak efficient at up to 30 degrees out of level.

No temperature swings and not impacted by high ambient termps either. You set it for say 40 in the box, it stays at 40. What a concept.

This past weekend we camped with one of my nieces and her husband who last year bought a brand new Mercedes high roof Sprinter cargo van and converted it himself to a Class B camper, including a Dometic compressor cooler / freezer. It's a fairly large model that sits like a cooler so I'm thinking it's probably a Dometic CFX 65W or one similar. They've already done multiple trips with this rig, including a trip from here in Ontario out to British Columbia & back, and he's totally satisfied with the performance of this cooler which also has a freezer section. I did note that when he parked on his campsite he paid no attention to leveling the rig ... he literally parked and that was their "setup" ... sweet. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
98coachman wrote:
So I'm assuming all of you never run your fridge while in transit then correct??? Unless you are driving on the plains your fridge is toast!!
That's a comment which might be expected from someone who doesn't understand the root cause of the problem. Liquid has to flow through the sloping pipes on the back of the fridge, or things back up, it overheats, and permanent damage is done. That damage is cumulative, a little bit each time and eventually you need a new cooling unit.

When you're parked and it's off level too far, gravity won't cause the liquid won't flow down the sloping tubing. Trouble. When you're traveling, it's not an issue. The bumps/sway/braking/acceleration all assist gravity in moving the fluid. As has been mentioned, 3 degrees is the recommended limit to off level. That's a bit more than a 5 percent grade, which is a pretty steep road. There are some 7 percent grades on the mountain Interstates, but that's still ok with all the movement.

There might still be an issue if you go off-road and spend hours driving up or down 10 degree (17 percent) grades, though. But not for normal RV transit.