cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Lantern Brightness and quality

Goldbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a couple of the new LED Lanterns and am curious as to what everyone feels is the best bang for the buck in terms of brightness and quality
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a collection different makes and models some are "Cute" all are functional. Can not recommend one over the other.. But they sure are handy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N523B2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got a couple Coleman Propane lanterns I'll pull out when we have a big group or a double site and need to light up a large area but for the times it's just my family and a friend (3-4 people), I use the above.

They are USB rechargable, last me about 4 hours, have magnetic mounts and carabiner clips (which fit perfectly on my pop up canopy and can therefore be aimed). They also stick well to the arms of my manual canopy on the trailer giving us enough light but not blinding anyone.

A couple of these and a couple Mag-light flashlights take care of us unless we have after dark cornhole tourneys going, then the colemans come out.

I'm on my 4th season with the first two I bought and bought 3 additional last year just to have some extras for friends that join us and tent camp. They work wonderful for the inside of a tent and 1 lights up a 14x14 tent well.

They also have 3 settings (Low, Med, high) and an emergency flashing strobe.

If the price on the first one scares you off, they have one that is slightly less bright (150 vs. 180 lumens) for under $10. This is actually the one I bought first and the most recent order was the brighter ones.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
DarthMuffin wrote:
I'm very happy with my Streamlight Seige lantern. Great quality, not too big or too small, good light output and excellent color quality (not harsh blue). It comes apart so you can easily hang it in a popup awning or tent and have the LEDs directed downwards. The D batteries in it last forever. This is the 300-something lumen model. Won't compete with a gas lantern but plenty to light up a table, porch, or workspace. Plus bonus red and red-flashy mode if you don't want to ruin night vision or are changing a tire or something.

The Streamlight Seige gets my vote as well.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Check out something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Outdoor-Camping-Rechargeable-Emergency/dp/B077YMKVF1/ref=pd_sbs_468_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B077YMKVF1&pd_rd_r=SPNK9AXV7WRV8MRNP4V5&pd_rd_w=sxJqb&pd_rd_wg=19ceH&psc=1&refRID=SPNK9AXV7WRV8MRNP4V5
I got one of these portable LED lanterns a couple years ago - a LOT of light for little money! Mine was under a different name, but similar specs.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've been happy with a lantern I purchased at Walmart some time ago. It's very bright and has a built-in rechargeable battery. The brand name is "Ozark Trail". Since I'm not in a camping environment at this time, I keep it handy at home in case of a power outage. As I recall, the price was under $20, but it may have been on sale at the time. It's light weight and appears to be well made.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One figure to remember is that the old incandescent 60 watt bulb produced 800 lumens.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very happy with my Streamlight Seige lantern. Great quality, not too big or too small, good light output and excellent color quality (not harsh blue). It comes apart so you can easily hang it in a popup awning or tent and have the LEDs directed downwards. The D batteries in it last forever. This is the 300-something lumen model. Won't compete with a gas lantern but plenty to light up a table, porch, or workspace. Plus bonus red and red-flashy mode if you don't want to ruin night vision or are changing a tire or something.

In fact even though it works fine I'm considering upgrading to their new 1100 lumen rechargable model.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Colemans at home for power outages and they are bright enough. I refuse to take them camping, thatโ€™s where I want fill, pump and light my old, trusty liquid gas Coleman.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad