cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing and Re-Installing B&W Companion Hitch

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pouring over the written instructions, looked online - and searched this site. I need to hear from folks who have had this hitch for a while as I am a new user of this hitch.

Recently, I had to take the base and saddle out of the truck bed. Followed the instructions and pulled the pin in the wheel well and rotated the handle to the left. Removed the saddle - no problem.

Instructions said to loosen the bolt on the top of the base unit to withdraw the pin and base. Done No problem.

Now. I have to put it back in. Reverse process. Wheel well pin slid back into the pin that goes through the truck bed. Tightened the center bolt on the top of the base unit to 60 pounds using a torque wrench (per the label next to the bolt).

I noted that when it was initially installed, no grease was placed on the center pin base plate where the pin comes in contact with it. I did that. Also, they didn't use any lithium grease on the nylon caps. Will be picking some up today.

Anything else I need to do? Looks and feels right, but, I want experienced input before I go and hitch the trailer to it.

Thanks.
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

36 REPLIES 36

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"Most owners will need the latter after buying the former."

Maybe the weenies might, but us manly he-men have no need of those sissy lifts. 🙂

I have a really smart daughter who married a gym rat. I buy a 6 pack of good IPA (preferably Alpine Duet or Hoppy Birthday) and we split it. I undo the bolts and supervise, he lifts, we each get 3 beers. :B

Lyle

You pay for the beer, how about the the bad back or hernia in the future, them guys don't know their own strength , until its too late . Maybe cheaper to buy a hoist of some sort .

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^Now that's a system. :B
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:

Maybe the weenies might, but us manly he-men have no need of those sissy lifts. 🙂

I have a really smart daughter who married a gym rat. I buy a 6 pack of good IPA (preferably Alpine Duet or Hoppy Birthday) and we split it. I undo the bolts and supervise, he lifts, we each get 3 beers. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, that's what I get for relying on my memory. I do believe 80 lb.ft. is correct. Oops.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately at 76 I am still able to remove and re-install my B&W Companion by my self.
The label on the hitch says 40 #'s on the center bolt and 80 #'s on the U-bolts.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
prd2hnt wrote:
Hmmm. I have had the Companion for 5 years now. I was never instructed anything regarding torquing bolts upon reinstalling or removing of the base. Never had any issues. Am I misunderstanding something, or am I at some kind of risk I have been unaware of?
All the instructions and torque values are in the owner's manual that came with the hitch. FWIW the pull down bolt is 40 lb.ft. and the U-bolt nuts are 70 lb.ft.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. I have had the Companion for 5 years now. I was never instructed anything regarding torquing bolts upon reinstalling or removing of the base. Never had any issues. Am I misunderstanding something, or am I at some kind of risk I have been unaware of?
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW I had the head off and out, and the bottom unbolted and out of the truck in under 15 minutes. Two pins for the head, loosen 5 bolts and pull the pin under the fender. Easy peasy. Hard to get too much easier than that.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I had no need to remove my companion hitch for the four years I've owned the truck. When I traded it in, I had the dealer remove it for the next truck. They had three mechanics all over the truck trying to undo the latch from the gooseneck to release it. They finally did after at least a half hour. I don't plan to remove the next one either. It's too much trouble and I don't need the bed for anything other than towing.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
B&W ought to hook up with a hoist manufacturer and offer a hitch/ hoist package. Most owners will need the latter after buying the former.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Cummins2014 - neither my B&W or my Holland 5th wheels can drop a trailer when the pin on the release handle is in the closed position. The only way the jaws can open is for these pins to be released by a people person. Or break off - which is not going to happen with normal trailer draft loads on the jaws.

If I needed to be taking my hitch in and out of the truck often I would for sure trade the nuisance of hitching a gooseneck ball (vs 5th wheel) for the light weight and convenience of the Anderson design.

Or was in severe articulation conditions.

I get enough of hitching ball hitches throughout the year - I like 5th wheels back in and crash into the pin and verify release pin is locked. Connect wires up with the landing gear and chocks away we’re off.

None of the conventional fifth wheel hitches can drop a fifth wheel if hitched correctly, but like the individual that locked his B&W in the open position, and then drove off ,and dropped it on the bed of the truck it has been done, and will most likely happen again by someone.

Many different ways to drop a fifth wheel on the bed of a truck with a conventional hitch, hi hitching, not locking the handle, handle not closing , as mentioned locking the handle open, and probably more, resulting in dropped fifth wheels. Its a fact, and has been done, and reported .

Andersen is not a gooseneck hitch, no extensions off the kingpin to attach to a ball in the bed, totally different.

I agree you can't go crashing into an Andersen, but then I didn't with my conventional hitch, yes I have seen guys back into a hitch pretty aggressive, never felt like that was the way to go .

I have said before, backing into a conventional hitch, I wanted to be aligned up side to side, no different then with the Andersen, only difference for me , I am not always aligned front to back, and have to get back into the truck ,and adjust. If that is too much work or if someone is just too lazy for such things, then maybe they should stick to the conventional .

The thing is, if you think the Andersen is not for you why bad mouth it for the sake of promoting the hitch you have. Not saying you did, but many do. I pointed out the fact of dropping fifth wheels with a conventional hitch, its a fact, and its a fact with a B&W.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins2014 - neither my B&W or my Holland 5th wheels can drop a trailer when the pin on the release handle is in the closed position. The only way the jaws can open is for these pins to be released by a people person. Or break off - which is not going to happen with normal trailer draft loads on the jaws.

If I needed to be taking my hitch in and out of the truck often I would for sure trade the nuisance of hitching a gooseneck ball (vs 5th wheel) for the light weight and convenience of the Anderson design.

Or was in severe articulation conditions.

I get enough of hitching ball hitches throughout the year - I like 5th wheels back in and crash into the pin and verify release pin is locked. Connect wires up with the landing gear and chocks away we’re off.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input Cummins.