cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add 110 receptical

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Want to add another receptical to coach. Can anyone tell me are recepticals on a daisy chain? If the outlet is tied into the inverter it has two lines going in. Is one feeding the next outlet? If so how can I connect another outlet without breaking the chain?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
ScottG wrote:
10forty2 wrote:
... if you have a 20amp circuit, get a 20 amp outlet.

I had an interesting conversation with a Leviton rep. He said there is no difference in the internal architecture between a 15A and 20A receptacles other than the shape and that the 15A part is built to carry the 20A load. He said that goes for all manufacturers and is an industry standard for their standard receptacles *of course they offer heavy duty versions). So maybe this is why the NEC allows 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit.

I think you'll find that most electricians use 15 amp outlets on 20 amp circuits with 12 gauge wiring. It's done all the time. If using 14 wire you need a 15 amp breaker.

I agree. It's pretty much standard to wire lighting circuits with 14 ga. wire and outlet circuits with 12 ga. wire. When we built our current house we specified no wiring smaller than 12 ga. We didn't specify that the outlets should be 20 amp so the contractor installed 15 amp ones.

Having said that 12 ga. wire is rated for 18 amps on a continuous basis.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gazelle05 wrote:
Want to add another receptical to coach. Can anyone tell me are recepticals on a daisy chain? If the outlet is tied into the inverter it has two lines going in. Is one feeding the next outlet? If so how can I connect another outlet without breaking the chain?
Thanks

Outlets are wired in what's called parallel, so no breaking of any chain. It' hot to hot with the usually black wire and neutral to neutral with the white and with however you might connect it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
10forty2 wrote:

I had an interesting conversation with a Leviton rep. He said there is no difference in the internal architecture between a 15A and 20A receptacles other than the shape and that the 15A part is built to carry the 20A load. He said that goes for all manufacturers and is an industry standard for their standard receptacles *of course they offer heavy duty versions). So maybe this is why the NEC allows 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit.

Interesting...About 2 years ago we had a problem with tripping breakers and some receptacles being burned/scorched at our fairly new (<10 yrs)church. We had an electrician in and he verified that all wiring was up to code and in good condition. However he noted that all the plugs were 15A. I never even knew there was a difference between 15 and 20A receptacles. We purchased and changed all plugs to 20A. We've never had a breaker trip since.

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Found main junction box, wired direct. Hardest part was running 12-2 Romeo. Thanks for everything

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
10forty2 wrote:

I think you'll find that most electricians use 15 amp outlets on 20 amp circuits with 12 gauge wiring. It's done all the time. If using 14 wire you need a 15 amp breaker.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
10forty2 wrote:

Interesting.... didn't know that.....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
10forty2 wrote:

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Look around under/inside the cabinets and find a junction box. If it doesn't need its own separate circuit, then you can open the junction box and make your connection there. Make sure you use a strain relief on the new wire where it goes into the junction box through one of the knockouts. 12/2 romex with ground is good for a 20amp circuit. I think NEC allows up to 12 or 13 outlets on a 20amp circuit. Just make sure that you get the right sized outlet too... if you have a 20amp circuit, get a 20 amp outlet.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem i ran into adding a 120VAc Receptacle to my Trailer was I found the RV 120VAC Receptacles were the slimline push together type. This also pinches the 120VAC wiring to make connection.

I found hardly any slack in the romex and no good spot to tap into the 120VAC Circuit.

Google Image

I eventually found a spot with some slack and added a PVC Electrical Junction Box here. Then I ran a new ROMEX line from this tap to where i wanted the new 120VAC receptacles added.

I used the standard 120VAC Receptacle with screws on the back inside a PVC Electrical wall box...

Google image

One caution when working around the RV SLIM LINE TYPE 120VAC Receptacles is the ROMEX wiring has pinched the wiring lines and makes them very easy to break into because of the pinched crease in the wire. Due to lack of wiring slack it would be almost impossible to repair anything.

Just my observations
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel circuit. Plenty of info on the web
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, simply daisy chained. Doesn't need to be overly complicated. Simply use Romex and extend per the usual NEC methods.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok. outlets are indeed dasiy chained. in most RV's. However there are ways to add additional outlets depending on the intended use.

Low power if you can run a cable (romex) back to the distro point. You can simple connect in there (IF the inverter has breakers it is the distro point, IN my case I have a "Sub Panel".

High power. skip the inverter and run 12ga Romex back to the main breaker box (how I did did it (yes I did it two times).

I use electric space heaters so the added outlets are 15/20 amp (Have a "T" shaped neutral) and one to a circuit breaker. NO aroma of overheated wire/connection since I started using those for the heaters.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times