cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my barn door tall enough for a class a

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok my pole barn is 28 x 40 ft with 16 ft walls.. my one overhead door is 12 ft wide by 14 ft tall... now the door probably hangs down about 3” from the header so the opening is probably 13’6”
I can probably adjust it to open to the full 14ft
We may get a class C it an A.. probably 29 FYI long or less... what’s the height needed with the ac unit etc
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
29 REPLIES 29

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Beware added height from AC units, over air antennas, roof vent covers, any satellite dish on the roof and any other additions the manufacturer puts on. Not sure what they measure when they say this is THE height.

Class Cs generally are a little less high but vary widely. That sloped driveway can be the cause of real life issues. Wish you luck in figuring it all out and being able to use that great looking shed!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
By law. no vehicle may be taller than 13'6" without special permits and routing. Nor more than 8'6" wide with the exception of farm equipment on farming roads.

and with the farm exception only RV"s (May be just motor homes) and Flat Bed Tow Trucks are allowed at 8'6" others are limited to 8'zero

Is that measurement to the top of the vehicle or all the way up to include ac?

It's the overall height of the vehicle and/or load. The laws don't care whether it's a cab or a crane boom or a tank or an air conditioner or a pile of logs at the top, just how tall the vehicle is. Similarly, railroad underpasses and wires and the like aren't really picky about whether it's the roof or something else that doesn't fit underneath; it causes trouble regardless.

The widths generally do permit a couple of inches of "free" width for ancillary doodads that attach to the vehicle like lights or door handles. They also typically do not apply to side rear view mirrors (or at least a reasonable amount of extra is allowed for mirrors).

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
It's enough for a class a

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
By law. no vehicle may be taller than 13'6" without special permits and routing. Nor more than 8'6" wide with the exception of farm equipment on farming roads.

and with the farm exception only RV"s (May be just motor homes) and Flat Bed Tow Trucks are allowed at 8'6" others are limited to 8'zero

Is that measurement to the top of the vehicle or all the way up to include ac?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Only option I see to use your barn door opening size is to have the drive redone and level 40 ft out from the door, or modify the door opening and door.
If I was going to build one I would want 20 ft ceiling and at least 14 ft door opening so I could caulk the roof or wash the rig, with drains in floor or course and 18 to 20 ft wide so I could open slides and room to move around the coach.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm might check NC width laws, length laws, etc. For instance the 120in width and 90ft length laws that apply to towing boats and RVs----still 13-6 high

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just a tad too high,invite ten of your fattest friends over to ride in with you. The extra weight maybe just enough to lower the coach to a workable height.
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
1/4” clearance ??? So if there is a stone under your tire it will hit

PA-GUY
Explorer
Explorer
My door is 12' high. My Class "A" is 11'11 3/4". Wife watched me go in first time. if it goes in once it will go in again, just have to make sure door is totally up. That is why i bought my Fleetwood Storm. Specs said 12' high measured it 3 times at Lazydays in Fl, all good.
2007 Jayco 31SS Greyhawk

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Ok my pole barn is 28 x 40 ft with 16 ft walls.. my one overhead door is 12 ft wide by 14 ft tall... now the door probably hangs down about 3” from the header so the opening is probably 13’6”
We may get a class C it an A.. probably 29 FYI long or less... what’s the height needed with the ac unit etc

Hopefully this video will fix the magic number into your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

Chum lee

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

In Montana, MCA 61-10-102.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:

We're at 12ft 10", like most DP A's, but they can vary some and should be in the specs., once you get things narrowed down.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Well I don’t have an RV yet... but looking at 29 ft Winnebago,,, they list them at 11.5ft high to the tallest point,,, the opening now is 13’8” but again I can adjust the opener to get the full 14 ft but I don’t think I’ll need it

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't chance it. Measure from the top of the MH highest point. Include the top of the a/cond. Measure the door opening height.

It is hard to give any other advice without knowing the Make/Mod./Year and equipment on top of your MH.

If you have the S/N (or Vin) call the factory for height info, if you have the phone number. It should be in the owners manual.

Let us know the outcome. I am wanting to build a rv shed for my 2016 RV. It measures 13"6' at the highest point as measured by Escapees.
I am going for a 16" opening just to be on the safe side.

BUMPUS4