cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nwew England fall color trip

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Will be retiring next year and want to do a New England Fall color trip. Do park reservations need to be done a year in advance? If not, when is the best time?
9 REPLIES 9

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. looks like we need to be there a little earlier than I thought. We plan to follow the color south through Blue Ridge Parkway, then go visit our grandkids in Florida.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Aces High near Groton CT is open year round. All the transient spots are pull-thrus.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't need full hook ups some of NF CG's along rt 112 are open through Columbus day. Fryburg fair in Maine is an interesting fair and you can camp on the fair grounds and is a short trip from the NF CG's on rt 112. I have made this trip at least a half dozen times and have never needed reservations.

NHDad
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Arcadia NP

Acadia, not Arcadia. Makes it easier to find if you are searching. Sometimes the lack of the "r" sound isn't because we refuse to say it! :B

Google changes it for you, common error.

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
Labor Day to Columbus Day is without question the best time to visit New England. The weather is fantastic - cool nights, comfortable nights and bright blue skies. And the best part is that with the exception of Columbus Day weekend and whatever weekend the foliage peaks in an area, reservations aren't really needed.

Yes, most campgrounds close on the Monday of Columbus Day weekend. I'm originally from northern New England and I've never heard of a state requirement for that; it's basically an economic decision. It starts getting colder and water systems need to be drained for the winter. The traffic doesn't warrant staying open much later than that. However, there are a few CG's in northern New England that stay open through the fall hunting season.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
In Connecticut, most campgrounds close for the season in mid-October. Along with leaf peeping, a lot of private campgrounds have great Halloween weekends on the last weekend or two they are open! A lot of fun... if you are okay with hordes of kids!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Arcadia NP

Acadia, not Arcadia. Makes it easier to find if you are searching. Sometimes the lack of the "r" sound isn't because we refuse to say it! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you are able to plan that far ahead, reservations would be a good idea. Most important, find out when the campgrounds close for the winter. Up in that area, closures are mandated by the state, a lot earlier than in other areas. We made that trip, to Arcadia NP and to see the leaves, and we closed several campgrounds. So, check it our now, plan you trip and enjoy. We were there for the color peak,, then followed the peak all the way back to Tennessee. Enjoyed every minute and every lobster! Especially the "Great Desert of Maine"!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the nicer parks allow return guests to book a year out which reduces inventory. Many don't and some don't even take reservations the prior year. I'd put a plan together as to when/where you want to go and start picking out campgrounds. Check their cancellation policies and book based on those. Most reservations can be changed to some level. Columbus Day weekend does book up well in advance. Also keep in mind that peak season changes from year to year. You can keep tabs on these foliage websites:

https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/foliage/peak-fall-foliage-map/
https://www.discovernewengland.org/fall-foliage-maps

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]