cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for new seasonal camper

tonyz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Campers! New timer here on the forums. Bought a 27ft KZ Connect Light TT last year, and now decided to park it at a seasonal spot. Hoping you experienced campers could help answer a few questions, I'm sure I'll have many!

How do you hard pipe into the sewer lines? Do those kits work, but they seem pricey so just get some PVC and elbows? Do you have to glue them together or how do you seal them?

How do you protect the electric cable? They do mowing & trimming on the sight, so worry about them damaging something. How do you handle the excess cable (or should I get a shorter one?). It's only about 10 feet from rig to post, but I have a much longer cable.

It's a concrete landing. Do I need to put anything under the tires or can I just park on the concrete? I only anticipate moving it maybe once a year.

I think that's a good start, but will take any advice you seasonal campers have!

Tony
12 REPLIES 12

Godspeedme
Explorer
Explorer
I was told not to leave the black and gray water valves open because if it gets blocked up downstream it can back up into your trailer. Aka poop river in your trailer.

I used the rigid connector posted above for our pvc hookup.

I don’t have any advice regarding the mowing as we have pea stone with no grass. I’m also in the northeast so we don’t have the sun and heat issues.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you keep the grey open, how will you flush the hose/pipe after dumping the black tank?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
tonyz wrote:
Won't keep the valves open, good to know. I heard some people leave the grey open and black closed? Should I just keep both closed?

We camp seasonally and keep the grey tank valves open (we have 2 black and 2 grey tanks). We are a family of 4. We fill the grey tanks very quickly. We'd be dumping probably 4 or 5 times a week. At our campground, each site has its own septic system. We may get a few sewer flies throughout the season. We have been on the same site for 4 years now.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigorange wrote:
3 months in the AZ desert sun over the winter...is that long enough to worry about a semi-permanent PVC sewage line or will I be okay with the stinky slinky?

I would not put in a PVC line for that period of time. Too much work and you would need to carry the parts along with you when you leave. I would just use my regular sewer hose and find a way to cover it up when in use.

I have covered my sewer hose with a section of gutter that I carry in the bumper and fasten it on the hose with pieces of hook-n-loop tape. Have found, from wintering in Florida for the past 16 years, that if you do not cover the hose the sun will make sure you purchase a new hose every couple of years.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
3 months in the AZ desert sun over the winter...is that long enough to worry about a semi-permanent PVC sewage line or will I be okay with the stinky slinky?
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

tonyz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, super helpful!

Won't keep the valves open, good to know. I heard some people leave the grey open and black closed? Should I just keep both closed?

Thanks for the tips & pics on the PVC. I think it's a 4" pipe, not sure if it's threaded or not.

I think I'll put the electrical thru a PVC and just seal it up at the post somehow so rain water doesn't get in there.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have many more questions!

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
IF trenching, the water, power, and cable cords, I'd at least run them through some PVC pipe to protect from the elements.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
See this post for pictures of how I connect my trailer to the sewer system.

For the electric cord, I would pull it out all the way from the compartment, coil it up and leave just enough to reach the elec post and then put the rest of it under the trailer on the concrete. If the campground weed trimming is still a problem, then I would probably push the end through a section of pipe to protect it - if the campground would allow that.

As far as putting something under the tires, I would not worry about them on the concrete but would cover them to keep the sun off.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
Wife & I have been seasonal campers since 1993. I use PVC to connect to campground's sewer system. As was said before leave valves CLOSED until ready to dump. I have to mow my own lot so this is what I did with my water hose and electric cable. I dug a trench and buried a 6" PVC pipe with elbows then ran water hose and electric cable through it. I used a drain snake to pull the water hose and electric cable through the PVC.

'

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tonyz wrote:
How do you hard pipe into the sewer lines?

Rotating Rigid Pipe Adapter

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning on leaving your valves open, you will regret it - big mistake. Your black tank is a holding tank and needs water to remain in it so stuff floats rather than sink to the bottom. If you leave the valve open then that's exactly what will happen. The liquid will drain and the solids will go to the bottom and harden. Ever see those little black flys? Would you like them to get into your TT through your open sewer connection?

It is better to leave the grey and black valves closed. Use lots of water when flushing the toilet. go out and empty the tanks when needed, black tank first, the grey to flush out the hose.

Get one of those wands and use it on the black tank once in a while. I'd also recommend a clear elbow so you can see the color of the water coming out of the black tank. Use a separate hose for this.

Talk to the front desk about trimming next to your cable - what do they need from you? Maybe they will move it.

Not sure about the tires. At minimum, I'd keep them inflated and cover them with tire covers. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding only one of your questions, I wouldn’t leave my TT plugged into the GC’s power. Use solar to maintain the battery or take the battery home. Yes, I carry two cables for when I plug-in...10 and 25 feet...which isn’t very often.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad