Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter review Victron 350 watt pure sine wave

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I finally got the Victron 350 watt pure sine wave inverter wired up with a cigarette lighter plug.

It is intended for use with a laptop and heating pad.

Demand with the old 400 watt MSW Motor Master (from Canadian tire) was about 5 amps running the laptop. The MSW got quite warm running just the laptop, and the power supply as well as the laptop got extra warm. The fan would run when booting the computer. When I would add the heating pad the cooling fan ran constantly.

On the Victron demand is down to 3.78 amps, the power supply is much cooler as is the laptop. The case on the Victron doesn't warm up at all. Adding the heating pad did not cause the cooling fan to come on. I should have made this jump a long time ago.

Cost for the Victron was a scant $80 USD.

It is considerably heavier than the MSW unit, and about three times the physical size. I've not looked inside, but I think there may be a nice big transformer in the Victron.

Conclusion:

Highly Recommended!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
17 REPLIES 17

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
it was 113 with a 50 watt load

My Magnums were 120 and 122 (2nd one was higher).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 120.8. Cotek 48v, 4kw.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I forgot to document the output voltage--it is 113.
On open circuit? that's pretty low.

With only 350w would that pull the 113 down much? With my 2000w inverter running 1600w, the resting voltage of 117v fell to 111v.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
On open circuit? that's pretty low.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Today $100 on amazon. The cheaper model has no terminals (which is what I purchased).

landyacht318 wrote:
Thanks.

I am in the market for a new PSW inverter

My Wagan Elite 400 watt PSW blew its internal fuses a few months ago, and when i replaced them it could not handle much over 300 watts.

Now when I turn it on I get the whining sound it makes when i would previously turn it off.

Not sure I want to try replacing any possible failed components. I had Noticed rust on some transistor legs a few years ago when I opened it up to clean and lube the fan.

For powering the laptop, i use a PWR+ DC to DC converter and this consistently used 8 to 12 walls less than the Wagan powering the original power brick.

Only issue has been its Ciggy plug and the DC cord carrying 19.5v required replacing, twice.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don

MrWizard
Yes !!!
Not resistive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does that mean all those 120v to DC brick things are not resistive?
Photo in Profile

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

I am in the market for a new PSW inverter

My Wagan Elite 400 watt PSW blew its internal fuses a few months ago, and when i replaced them it could not handle much over 300 watts.

Now when I turn it on I get the whining sound it makes when i would previously turn it off.

Not sure I want to try replacing any possible failed components. I had Noticed rust on some transistor legs a few years ago when I opened it up to clean and lube the fan.

For powering the laptop, i use a PWR+ DC to DC converter and this consistently used 8 to 12 walls less than the Wagan powering the original power brick.

Only issue has been its Ciggy plug and the DC cord carrying 19.5v required replacing, twice.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Mr Wiz and PT. I didn't know that.
Photo in Profile

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Victron weighs 7 lbs.

Time2roll, It would run the absorption fridge (325 watts) IF it were not connected to a 15 amp fused circuit.

BFL13 computers are run by a switched power supply. Mine clearly doesn't "like" MSW as well as it likes PSW.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the Harbor Fright Salvage 600 watt MSW perverter weighs 1.1 pounds cause of the "transformer with all that copper". High Freak does not rely on transformers only piddly inductors. Chew & Spit technology recycle parts.

MrWizard
BFL13 wrote:
It is all resistive loads, so how do you explain the difference other than by size of transformer?

the laptop is not a resistive load
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s