cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire Lock recommendation

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a spare tire lock recommendation - one that actually works? Send URL/internet link, please, if you have a suggestion.
Thank you.
Lura
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."
10 REPLIES 10

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all of you. Appreciate your thoughts!!!
(And, yes, we only do keep honest people honest!!)
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one. Just to keep the honest ones honest. If they want it bad enough, I suppose they could unbolt the carrier from the frame.

clicky

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I lock everything and hope it discourages the amateur thief.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
My spare is held on the rear with 3 bolts, going through the wall to the inside of the RV. I loosened one bolt on the inside so that a 2nd wrench is needed to remove nut holding tire on. They could still get it but will need 2 people, 2 wrench's and have to go inside. I guess they could hook onto it with a chain and rip it off or use a cutting torch.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If the spare is hung with a lug nut, buy the type of lug nuts that require a special socket/tool. You can put the remaining lug nuts in the set on other wheels.

Me, I have never locked the spare.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like JaxDad said-Locks only keep honest people honest. Any lock can easily be defeated by a knowledgeable thief. I am not a thief but I do welding for a hobby. I have tools that will go through any lock you put on something faster than you can pull the key out of your pocket and open it yourself. Just make walk-off theft harder is about all you can do.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my trailer spare tire in the bed of the truck. Truck has a cover. I have other things hanging from my rear bumper. Never had the tire stolen, so it must be pretty theft proof doing it this way. :B

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Check out the locks from Bolt they use your ignition key to set the tumbler.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Locks only stop honest people.

They rarely do anything more than slow down a crook.

A $50 battery powered disc grinder will go through most locks in mere seconds.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do you mean by "actually works"? Most locks "work" Put a cable or chain in the mix and that will lock it to whatever.. I use a cable and pad lock to secure my propane tanks, but have not worried too much about my spare on the back of the trailer.

Can either of those be cut? Sure... I guess I am just keeping honest people honest, but if someone wants something bad enough and they are willing to go thru some effort and risk not getting caught, then I guess that's where these things fail.

I have had my battery grow legs and walk away after leaving it on the trailer at my house.. Now, I just remove it after each trip.. Sure, it's a PITA.. But, it's easier than trying to secure it, because it's hard to wrap a chain around a battery. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.