cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running lights on when camping, use a fuse & dimmer?

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the trick where you use a fuse on the plug to light up the running lights while camping. However think I would want to tone it down a bit.

Any reason why a dimmer in line with the fuse would not work?
Never make the mistake of thinking you know everything about something. ๐Ÿ˜›
44 REPLIES 44

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just do everyone a favor and don't turn on lights that are not needed. I have never been in a campground where I felt the need to light it up like a city. I do however turn on my flashlight when I am in bear country so that I don't step on a bear when outside. We can all see your RV, we don't need to be able to read the newspaper in our campsite with your irritating lights.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you turn it off at night. To many people leave there lights blaring all night long...Its become an issue. Flag pole solar lights etc.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
rjniles wrote:
I use this dimmer for LEDs. Will not work for incadescent, too much current.

https://www.amazon.com/Leegoal-LEDwholesalers-Lights-Dimming-Controller/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534464401&sr=8-4&keywords=12+volt+led+dimmer&dpID=41YcQUHmX1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I'm not convinced this will work with a common ground. I believe IN V- and OUT V- need to be isolated.
As I suspected, this is a low-side switch. You will need a high-side switch due to your campers common ground (tied to frame). It can be done, but not with this device.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off when you go in for the night is good. So many people leave their lights on all night long. Scared of the dark I guess. We have a Bounder that pulled in next to us yesterday. Their porch light is a big round bulb with no cover and it's like a bright mercury light being on. They left it on all night. Good thing our slide with awning from the living room blocks that light to the bedroom window or I'd be visiting and asking that they please shut it off. Probably would have to wait until they were in bed to go knocking though.

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
The newer blue light are awful. Have seen them on a few trailers - please don't do that.

Naw....don't care for that neon actinic blue either. We do however like the light aqua ocean blue color though.

I have RGB stips below the awning and about 6 feet under the rv with some of that 6' strip lighting up the stairs.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The newer blue light are awful. Have seen them on a few trailers - please don't do that.

Explorer II
Explorer II
rjniles wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Leegoal-LEDwholesalers-Lights-Dimming-Controller/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534464401&sr=8-4&keywords=12+volt+led+dimmer&dpID=41YcQUHmX1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I'm not convinced this will work with a common ground. I believe IN V- and OUT V- need to be isolated.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Getting back to the original topic. If the LED use a basic resistor to limit current, a dimmer, either linear or pwm version. However if any of the LED use active current limiting like a switching regulator could be damaged or malfunction if used with a dimmer.

Long and short of it, if any of the LED bulbs have a circuit board with "chips" they're not going to dim well if at all.

My marker lights are fine but the tail lights have active circuitry to manage the LED brightness, switching between running light and brake light modes.

Thank you... appreciate it.

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:

Thank you. Going to use This and maybe mount it in This

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Getting back to the original topic. If the LED use a basic resistor to limit current, a dimmer, either linear or pwm version. However if any of the LED use active current limiting like a switching regulator could be damaged or malfunction if used with a dimmer.

Long and short of it, if any of the LED bulbs have a circuit board with "chips" they're not going to dim well if at all.

My marker lights are fine but the tail lights have active circuitry to manage the LED brightness, switching between running light and brake light modes.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer

Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Snip...
Looks like the neighbor must be equally colorful with that green light flooding in from out of frame.

Snip...

I think that green light is not from a neighbor but from his palm tree that you can see reflected in the side of his trailer near the front. :B
See lots of those down in Florida during the winter.
Barney

Oh, neat. I'm never at one site long enough to decorate it, so the thought didn't cross my mind.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't talking about signaling lights for a landing strip. Hence the dimmer and they would go off when the grandkids come in. We'll before lights out time
We do glamping now and really wouldn't be any different than other campers and thier outdoor LED exterior lights.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Snip...
Looks like the neighbor must be equally colorful with that green light flooding in from out of frame.

Snip...

I think that green light is not from a neighbor but from his palm tree that you can see reflected in the side of his trailer near the front. :B
See lots of those down in Florida during the winter.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine