cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator problem

Lbjr75
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have an idea what my refrig problem may be? My Domestic RM 2807 refrigerator will start (either with propane or electrical) but shuts off in about 2 hours. I can then hear a noise that is coming from the lower circuit board in the outside compartment. The noise changes when I press on the circuit board. Cleaning the venting didnโ€™t seem to help. Iโ€™m thinking it might not be the circuit board since the unit operates for few hours before shutting down. Could something be heating up?
Thanks for any assistance.
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Lbjr75 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback; much appreciated. To answer the questions raised 1) the unit hasnโ€™t been running off level 2) I believe it is the original refrigerator and the rv is a 1994 model Fleetwood Southwind 3) shutdown occurs running electrical or propane 4) when the unit first stops running, the โ€œcheckโ€ light on the indicator lights near the top of the unit inside goes on - then awhile later the lights dim and the noise starts up. I know the unit isnโ€™t working first when the โ€œcheckโ€ light goes on, then hearing the noise. The noise is definitely coming from the lower circuit board in the outside compartment. Thanks again for your time.

1994 model---That helps. Take the black cover off the rear control module. IF the epoxy where the circuits are mounted is yelloe/Beige, the ONLY fix is to replace the control module and install a ground loop kit. Dometic has those 2 parts. IF the epoxy is greenish, then the original control module has been replaced and more diag needed. But, even a newer control module may be bad. The original Dometic Control modules from the early 90's to about 1998 had intermittant failure problems with the check light being the indicator. Made no difference if on 120 or LP gas. Doug

Lbjr75
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback; much appreciated. To answer the questions raised 1) the unit hasnโ€™t been running off level 2) I believe it is the original refrigerator and the rv is a 1994 model Fleetwood Southwind 3) shutdown occurs running electrical or propane 4) when the unit first stops running, the โ€œcheckโ€ light on the indicator lights near the top of the unit inside goes on - then awhile later the lights dim and the noise starts up. I know the unit isnโ€™t working first when the โ€œcheckโ€ light goes on, then hearing the noise. The noise is definitely coming from the lower circuit board in the outside compartment. Thanks again for your time.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
As others mentioned, when it shuts down you need to get a 12 volt reading at the Positive wire on the back of the refer. Odds are, you are going dead on 12 volts. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
When mine would start and then shut down it was because of low voltage.

The "fridge thermostat runs off of DC". So a plugged into AC power fridge 'will' come on but when it reaches it's set temp and shuts off the thermostat can not turn it back on because of low DC voltage.

I battled that problem with 3 different repair guys until the 4th one came into my RV and walked straight back to my converter to test it. Converter was shot and frying the batteries.

I.E low voltage to the thermostat in fridge and air conditioning. Allowing them both to come on but when they hit the temp set on the thermostat they would shut off and not be able to come back on.

Newer RV's may not have this problem. Because (i think)they have inverters factory installed in them. But most older RV's still need DC power to run the thermostats in fridge's and air conditioners.

Yes and No. It takes 12 volts to operate the CONTROL system(control boards are 12 volt) for the Refers and Roof AC units. NOT just the Tstat. Some Roof AC units require NO 12 volts to operate, those will have roof mounted controls. Doug

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When mine would start and then shut down it was because of low voltage.

The "fridge thermostat runs off of DC". So a plugged into AC power fridge 'will' come on but when it reaches it's set temp and shuts off the thermostat can not turn it back on because of low DC voltage.

I battled that problem with 3 different repair guys until the 4th one came into my RV and walked straight back to my converter to test it. Converter was shot and frying the batteries.

I.E low voltage to the thermostat in fridge and air conditioning. Allowing them both to come on but when they hit the temp set on the thermostat they would shut off and not be able to come back on.

Newer RV's may not have this problem. Because (i think)they have inverters factory installed in them. But most older RV's still need DC power to run the thermostats in fridge's and air conditioners.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please clarify the following questions:

1) On electric or propane fridge does the same shutdown after 2 hours?

2) When fridge shutsdown do you still have upper panel display/lights?

3) What indicates that fridge has shutdown?

As for 'High Temp Limit'...unless a 'recall' was done and stack sensor added there is NO high temp limit switch which shutsdown fridge
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Parts breakdownIt is possible that the reignitor is failing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
High temp limit is shutting it down. We need more info like how old is it, have you operated it out of level, etc, etc...

Sounds to me like you have a blockage but with no info, any ideas are a crapshoot.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same reason as posted on 'Other' forum
That old black box circuit board

And you did mean circuit board when you stated controller.....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a better forum for your question than this one. I will send the moderator a message and ask that this be moved to the Tech Issues forum where I think you will get much better response. I do not have mod privileges on this forum.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine